Air locker switches are failing… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before y’all jump me, I searched for ARB switch upgrades and found nothing.
Anyway, my first generation airlocker switches are on the blink. Ya gotta wiggle them to get them to work half the time. So it’s really a pain when hitting a tough hill climb and reaching down to push the switches then wondering if they’ve engaged.

Has anyone used an aftermarket or some other useful hack?

TIA

what about just getting a few new arb switches??
I'm sure almost any switch (like the arb switch) will work in it's place if you're not looking to replace with arb.

what about just getting a few new arb switches??
I'm sure almost any switch (like the arb switch) will work in it's place if you're not looking to replace with arb.
I thought of that too but figured I would ask just in case some of you had an alternative that was more readily available. Mine has the relay built into the switch with a light on it so you can see when it’s pushed in (in the on position), which I don’t need. I’m thinking the newer switches are different.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I thought of that too but figured I would ask just in case some of you had an alternative that was more readily available. Mine has the relay built into the switch with a light on it so you can see when it’s pushed in (in the on position), which I don’t need. I’m thinking the newer switches are different.

View attachment 3196766View attachment 3196766
Oh DANG! the newer switches are definitely different. Maybe time to "upgrade"

Oh DANG! the newer switches are definitely different. Maybe time to "upgrade"
Yes, could be but what all will that entail? Is my wire harness going to need a new replacement too? It plugs directly into the relay/switches. I’m trying not to have to do all that crap.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? It doesn't require a relay to have a light come on when the switch is on.

Yes, could be but what all will that entail? Is my wire harness going to need a new replacement too? It plugs directly into the relay/switches. I’m trying not to have to do all that crap.
you may have to..

What about trying to clean and lube those switches? My guess is that they've started acting up as a result of dirt/dust exposure and not from how much they've been used which means they may be in pretty good shape internally.

You may get away with just squirting electronics cleaner into them and cycling them some or they may need partial or complete disassembly. The nice thing about taking them apart is that you can do a better job of getting them clean and re lubricating them but sometimes just squirting stuff through the gaps can be enough if you want to try the easy route.

Are you sure about that? It doesn't require a relay to have a light come on when the switch is on.
See my pics above. The light doesn’t matter at all. What’s important is that the button switches on the relay. The relay is part of the switch. I’m going to pull one out and take a picture of it.

View attachment 3196766View attachment 3196766
That one strange looking 80😂🤣🤪

From the photo, your application appears it could be classified as severe service. Those switches look like they have been subjected to the elements. I would install simple, marine grade on/off switches an build my own harness with weather proof relays. This would be quite simple.

What about trying to clean and lube those switches? My guess is that they've started acting up as a result of dirt/dust exposure and not from how much they've been used which means they may be in pretty good shape internally.

You may get away with just squirting electronics cleaner into them and cycling them some or they may need partial or complete disassembly. The nice thing about taking them apart is that you can do a better job of getting them clean and re lubricating them but sometimes just squirting stuff through the gaps can be enough if you want to try the easy route.
View attachment 3196936
It had dirt and dust all over it. A good cleaning may be all that’s needed. Good call!

F220AC2A-8BE0-4D1B-8554-ADD2A2397124.jpeg

Last edited:

^^^^^ This

My favorite Jeep, the Scrambler
I love the look of them (also LJ's) and, like all Jeeps, once you replace the entire drivetrain, axles, and suspension they are great vehicles. Yet for some reason I still have my old YJ sitting behind my shop.

Good news! The guys at ARB sent me two new switches “under warranty”…
I explained to him that my switches were the first gen “push in” buttons. He said he had never even seen that kind and sent me two new ones plus a diagram on how to wire them in my existing harness.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that they didn’t even try to charge me for them. Thumbs up to ARB Airlocker standing behind their products!
EED99B22-AF7D-468F-940C-40AF7CDF3B25.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom