Air Lift 1000 Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Make sure you watch the hose and bag when you put the weight back on the truck so the bags and hoses are seated in the bottom.

You can run the hoses to a T and one fill valve or fill each side separately. I chose to do each separately.

I ran hoses through bottom spring perch, to the sway bar bracket and then through the frame to the back of the bumper. I drilled through the bumper right by class 3 hitch on each side.

Pictured is 20 psi in the bags with no load. The rear is up 1" from normal ride height. I shot it up to 50 psi and it lifted the unloaded truck 2"
View attachment 525900View attachment 525901View attachment 525902
nice ride brother (this is washburn) hope youre doing well

Slee Offroad recommends this instead
They do not recommend the Airlift system "due to a lot of issues over the years"

any comment?
That surprises me, as I assumed (based on no data at all, as usual) that the Timbren bumpstops wouldn't even make contact with anything for the first couple inches of travel--not sure how they can prevent a 1" sag when heavily loaded, which is what I use the airlift bags to do. Totally possible I'm totally misunderstanding the Timbren setup, though. . .

As for issues with the airbags, yes, this thread is full of them, it seemed to me that if one gets big-enough holes in the right spot on the lower spring perches, they can be pretty trouble-free. Which has been the case for me so far (2 months ish), for what little that's worth.

Slee Offroad recommends this instead
They do not recommend the Airlift system "due to a lot of issues over the years"

any comment?
I've had my airbags in for years with no problems, but I don't go off-roading lots. It's also really important to make the hole in the spring perch big enough to clear the air nipple on the airbag and ensure you've sleeved the air hose with rubber fuel line to keep thing from getting wear damage.

I noticed in my airlift bags that the bags will sometimes ride up inside the springs and pull on the air hose. Any tips to combat this from the airbag veterans?

I use mine to help towing my motorcycle racing trailer and used them all last season with no issues other than them riding up and occasionally pulling the air line off. May be an issue of not having enough slack as well.

I’m not here to argue with my friends at slee but the rubber bumps and airbags are two completely different animals.

if you drill out the base hole and give yourself slack in the hose it will ride up and be fine coming down.

I'm leaning towards going with the 60808 (9.5" tall)
I currently have Slee Heavy coils but I've lost a close to an inch of ride height since installing the bumper and carrying around the junk in the trunk.. I want to regain most of it.
What do you experts recommend is the optimal coil WITH AIRBAGS for everyday ride comfort but also loaded-with-gear support..? OME864s?

Last edited:
Took a little while to find a video that explained how the Timbrens work. Most of the videos are just guys in tight shirts ripping through a list off buzzwords while B-roll of trucks driving offroad plays.

I did find this video though. They look just like straight-up bump stops and would not increase the load capacity of the truck and maintain ride height. They just let the truck bottom out sooner to offer a bit more cushion. I don't blame Slee for not supporting Airlift bags, it's not a good product for a business to install because of the airlines and drilling holes just right and customers running them empty etc etc but it is an awesome product for the DIYer.

Put my Air Lift 1000s in 2 years ago and haven't touched them since except enlarging the holes and zip tying the air lines shortly after first install. Did 20-30 trails last year including Moab and I'm about to leave for Moab again. Also towed about 100 times and loaded up my truck with 1000lbs of ammunition. Run my bags between 5 and 15psi depending on load. https://amzn.to/3ddofaQ

H8fcaZo.png

Rising Sun 4x4 Club at the San Rafael Swell - Grill n Chill Cruisin' - https://youtu.be/ZhMPhkAA4ds

jczzMAl.jpg

t0qSrCV.jpg

Last edited:
👆exactly.

I run mine basically empty until I need them then I juice them to my load.

I don’t think this is such a hard subject to grasp. It’s a $100 mod. If you don’t like it. Toss it out.

And now we know where all the ammo went.

Ok I've settled on a couple of different options.. Just need your expert opinions on which would be best.. Consider that I would like to get 3/4 - 1" of additional ride height from where it sits currently. (unloaded)

A: I could install the Airlift 60728s (8.5" tall) in my existing Slee Heavy coils. Not sure if the minimum 5psi will provide the additional height.

B: install 60808s (9.5" tall) in OME 2863 coils. I know this would provide the lift but maybe too much??

All input is appreciated.
Thanks!

All 5PSI does is keep the bag shape intact. IE the bag material won't cave in/around a spring coil, and/or the bottom won't invert a bit. I don't think I see any ride height increase at 5PSI on my rig.

All 5PSI does is keep the bag shape intact. IE the bag material won't cave in/around a spring coil, and/or the bottom won't invert a bit. I don't think I see any ride height increase at 5PSI on my rig.

What he said...you will not see an added increase in ride height with these bags. they are just there to help support your tow weight up to 1000k lbs. Max air preasure they will handle is 20psi. and I believe the your daily running psi should be 10psi minimum.

Check out their website for support documentation.

Ok I've settled on a couple of different options.. Just need your expert opinions on which would be best.. Consider that I would like to get 3/4 - 1" of additional ride height from where it sits currently. (unloaded)

A: I could install the Airlift 60728s (8.5" tall) in my existing Slee Heavy coils. Not sure if the minimum 5psi will provide the additional height.

B: install 60808s (9.5" tall) in OME 2863 coils. I know this would provide the lift but maybe too much??

All input is appreciated.
Thanks!
What’s your hub to fender height with those springs? If it’s 21.5 or more I’d recommend the 9.5” bags—that’s where my height was and they seem too work great. And gave me .5” loft even at 5 psi....who might not happen if your hub fender measurement is above 22 or so already. But you can always back up and add spacers if you don’t end up with desired lift.

What’s your hub to fender height with those springs? If it’s 21.5 or more I’d recommend the 9.5” bags—that’s where my height was and they seem too work great. And gave me .5” loft even at 5 psi....who might not happen if your hub fender measurement is above 22 or so already. But you can always back up and add spacers if you don’t end up with desired lift.
I'm trying to get back to 22"..
Im at 21.125" now

I'd say 30 psi is safe for constant temp/pressure use

I'm trying to get back to 22"..
Im at 21.125" now
9.5” bags might do the trick—you’re sitting about .25” lower than I was when the airlift team recommended 9.5”...

What he said...you will not see an added increase in ride height with these bags. they are just there to help support your tow weight up to 1000k lbs. Max air preasure they will handle is 20psi. and I believe the your daily running psi should be 10psi minimum.

Check out their website for support documentation.
Where’d you see 20 psi as max? The manual that came with mine says max is 35 psi for springs with more than 1” between coils, 50 psi for all others....and recommends putting in 30 psi prior to adding payload and then adjusting for height once fully loaded....

Just did this a week or two ago. I have Dobinsons C59-223V variable rate springs (just a bit over factory height), which were sitting at 21.5" before the airlift bags.

Measured the space inside the coil, called airlift, and, sure enough, they recommended the slightly taller bag--9.5" bag, IIRC. Rather than getting the 60808, I got the 60926, which has the same bags, but also a heat shield (which I didn't need) and two pucks for each side (none of which I needed).

I undid my rear shock mounts (which means taking off my TT rear shock mount skids), disconnected the sway bar, jacked up the driver's side, put an axle stand in front of the rear LCA mount, removed the wheel, and realized I'd taken disconnected my shocks for nothing. Could totally get the springs out with the shocks still attached--tight but doable.

As per many posts in this thread, I drilled the holes in the lower spring perch way out. And then drilled a third hole and made it even wider (using dremel cutoff wheel to connect my holes). I still think the blasted holes are not centered on the nipples, but they're fine for now.

If I were to do it again, I'd stick bags and springs in place, then _mark where the nipple hits the lower spring perch_ and then make a giant hole there--not only are the existing holes in the spring perches not centered on the spring, even the center of the perch isn't centered--it's enough to drive one mad. I need to go check for rubbing and maybe do some more drilling one of these days, which of course will be more of a pain now that I have lines in place that are basically glued to the nipples. . .

Connected hoses to bags using no clamps, just loctite 545 to hold hoses in place. Ran two lines up along my raised breather line and fuel fill neck. T'd the lines waaay up high so I can easily convert to two schrader valves if the shared air construct doesn't work out. Then drilled way up high in the fender trim, on the vertical part that won't get hit no matter how far up I tuck my wheel.

Filled bags to 25 or 30 psi--within several hours they'd lost about 5 psi (probably just from expanding and settling), but then they stayed there. Lowered them to ~5psi.

Wanted another .5" lift in the rear and had thought about buying spacers AND airbags, and am glad I didn't (thanks to this thread)--the bags alone with 5 psi did give me .5" more height in the rear. Cranked front TBs to match--now at 22" rear and 21" front, and that's about as high as I plan on going.

Some pics.

View attachment 2618705

View attachment 2618707

View attachment 2618708

View attachment 2618709

OK... I apologize for all the questions. I realize that this should be a simple mod but there is actually a ton of varying info on this thread. (I've read the entire thread 3x... 😎)

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set.. Just need to know exactly what part# is optimal for my application.

@mdcoa.. I currently have roughly the same hub-to-fender height that you did pre-Airlift. I measured between spring perch and the surface where the bump stop is bolted to. 8.75".

If I get the 60808s the bags will be slightly taller than the space in which they will be placed.
If I get the 60728 they will be slightly shorter BUT if I then decide to add spacers I'm afraid they'll be too short.

If I can plan on getting 3/4" lift out of the bags alone I think the 60728s is what I need.

Comments?
Thanks again...

OK... I apologize for all the questions. I realize that this should be a simple mod but there is actually a ton of varying info on this thread. (I've read the entire thread 3x... 😎)

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set.. Just need to know exactly what part# is optimal for my application.

@mdcoa.. I currently have roughly the same hub-to-fender height that you did pre-Airlift. I measured between spring perch and the surface where the bump stop is bolted to. 8.75".

If I get the 60808s the bags will be slightly taller than the space in which they will be placed.
If I get the 60728 they will be slightly shorter BUT if I then decide to add spacers I'm afraid they'll be too short.

If I can plan on getting 3/4" lift out of the bags alone I think the 60728s is what I need.

Comments?
Thanks again...
I don't remember how accurate my measurements were, but the Airlift guy I spoke to said, "meh, maybe try the 9.5" . . . have you called them? They're pretty great. At the end of the day, if you buy the 6728s and realize you've made a terrible mistake, you can probably call them and order replacement bags in a different size for not that much $.

Yes I called them a couple of days ago.. They're like everyone else. Overwhelmed. Finally received a callback today from a guy who wasn't much help... Didn't know the product at all and offered pretty generic guidance without risking actual recommendations.
So I'm turning to MUD... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom