Air Force reserves--Pros/cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

My 38 year old brother is looking at joining the USAFR--he lives in Kodiak, AK and the long term benefits would be significant. GI bill, VA loan, retirement, commissary, AMC flights, etc.

He is tracking on the issue of paying the bills while at basic training and A-school (I think that is what the AF calls it). He already works in the oil industry so is looking for a fuels related job--this could help in the civilian sector, but I don't know if the entry level folks get any kind of certification in that field. I have tried to prod him toward a little more lucrative job (ATC, Aviation maintenance, etc) but he doesn't want to spend the time away from his kids (x5) or miss hunting season... I have also advised him to ask for a contract promotion due to his AA degree and to ask about signing/shipping bonuses.

Any thoughts from the experts? Other things to consider? Secret tricks that USAF recruiters don't want him to know?

Thanks!

Dan

38 years old is pretty late to be starting out. Will they waiver him in that old?

Military Reserve jobs almost always end up holding one back professionally. No matter what employers say, sooner or later the Reserves will screw your future job prospects.

However, they provide good adventure/interesting opportunities.

BTW, he is going to miss hunting season. And spend time away from his kids. If he doesn't think so, he's out of his mind.

38 years old is pretty late to be starting out. Will they waiver him in that old?

Military Reserve jobs almost always end up holding one back professionally. No matter what employers say, sooner or later the Reserves will screw your future job prospects.

However, they provide good adventure/interesting opportunities.

BTW, he is going to miss hunting season. And spend time away from his kids. If he doesn't think so, he's out of his mind.

They will let him in till 39. He works right now driving and fixing fuel trucks for the oil company on Kodiak, I don't know that missing a few days here or there will hurt him in that job and his small business is low volume, high value, so it doesn't take up much time. I believe he understands the potential future commitments, he is talking near term--i.e. short MOS/A school=home in time for hunting season which in turn helps compensate for the reduction of income while he was at basic.

Subject to mobilization and rotation to long periods overseas...

The joke in Iraq was, I can tell it's almost time to go home, we're on our fourth rotation of Air Force. They did three month rotations.

The joke in Iraq was, I can tell it's almost time to go home, we're on our fourth rotation of Air Force. They did three month rotations.

LOL

When I was at HQ AFCENT, Brunssum, The Netherlands, I used to ride my bike to work, each morning, and wave at my Army coworkers... as they stood formation... drove them nuts!! Air Force definitely has it's good points. :cool:

You didn't have formations?

You didn't have formations?

No formations... But, I had an M-16... on a card, in my wallet.

The M-16 card was handy during NATO exercises... The exercise officials were always watching for unattended guns... They confiscated them and that was a bad thing... So, carrying my M-16 in my wallet meant it was always secured.

Deployment wise, Air Force is nothing.

We had a series of Navy Captains in charge of our section, once, who were on ONE MONTH deployments. Of course, being Navy Captains, they peak out in their potential for leadership on day two....

Navy personell ran the fuel point at Taji for a while, we came back from a mission once and I noticed "U.S. Navy" on their uniforms. I asked one of them what the Navy was doing there, he said they got volunteered. He referred to the person that volunteered them by rank. I don't know Navy rank, so it didn't mean anything to me. These were the only Navy I was aware of other than the docs with the Marines.

There were a few Seabees in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I wish there were a couple thousand of them. Most professional and effective military force I've ever worked with.

I was doing some Intel work, and my succession of bosses were Navy Captains. They were also either aviators or had commanded Aircraft Carriers. Most worthless, non-leading pieces of s*** I've ever met. Risk averse and quick to stab someone in the back, even when it wouldn't benefit them. Luckily, I could avoid them, by and large, so I did.

I met exactly "One" Air Force Reservist while deployed in Iraq. She was certified, bat**** crazy. I ended up leaving Iraq and going to Afghanistan just to get out from under her authority.

I saw some SF that might have been Navy, they had extracted some locals from their beds in the early morning. We were told to stay off the road to allow them passage, and were pulled off to the side. While we were sitting there another convoy came from behind us and kept going, congesting the whole thing. Maybe they didn't get the memo, the SF guys looked irked when they finally got through. The other unit had very similar trucks to us, which made it look like we were part of them. They had the detainees in the back of Duece and a halfs. Kinda reminded me of Blackhawk Down.

Well, he took the pre asvab and did very well. Seems like things are moving along well. It turns out that he will get paid BAH during boot camp--that should help cover the bills. I wasn't sure if all of the allowances would be paid during entry level training but it seems that they are...

Well, he took the pre asvab and did very well. Seems like things are moving along well. It turns out that he will get paid BAH during boot camp--that should help cover the bills. I wasn't sure if all of the allowances would be paid during entry level training but it seems that they are...

As long as he is aware of his commitment, some kind of Reserve service is good for a 38 year old without solid career goals.

It sounds like a good opportunity. But it's not a "part time filler gig". If Uncle Juice decides to deploy, then it's time to go. It is going to open alot of doors, but it will cost.

Good Luck !!

Well, I passed on everybody's advice, he went ahead and signed up as a fueler. Had his first couple drill weekends already and heads to boot camp in a couple weeks. Thanks for the input!

Basic training in the winter, what state?

Texas, San Antonio I think...

What ever happened to you @KliersLC? I was POL for 29 years and still work full time in the Air Guard. If you can get a full time AGR gig then that's the gig to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom