Air Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hate to open a can of worms, but I think this is pretty interesting. Started looking around when I found that Amsoil didn't make a foam filter for the LC.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Gotta look at the evidence, and you need to start believing somewhere........

John

This is great data. No more K&Ns for me.

How often are you guys changing your air filters, 10k, 15k, etc?

uzj100

I ditched all my K&Ns a while back. I did get improved power with their intakes on a previous vehicle though. So Its not ALL hype. But the drop in filters alone, fugettaboutit.

ndcruiser,

Awesome article. I've been telling people for years NOT to run anything other than stock paper filters.

I change mine whenever they look dirty. The old one gets blown out and used for off roading trips. I also like having an extra one in case I injest some water.

I understand the dirtier a filter gets the better it filters out dirt, until it plugs completely. Downside is that the dirty and more restricted it gets the more power you lose. I change mine when they look dirty. :D

Yeah, I saw a different test years back showing K&N as one of the worst in terms of filtration. It's only a step better than using no air filter at all. I use OEM, too...every 6 months here in AZ (it's dusty in the summer..also a good reason to use OEM oil filters and not to run synthetic oil more than 5K mi).

I stopped using K&N when I discovered fine oil and sandy grit on friggen "inside" of my air box in my old Bimmer. I also had the K&N filter maintenance kit and I washed and re-oiled to spec and they still let crap into my engine.

BTW speaking of air filters I stuck in a $9.99 Fram into my 100 to replace the Wix. Side by the side the Fram and the Wix look and feel almost identical not mention they are both made in Isreal with nearly identical markings. I know Fram oil filters are junk but the air filter Im using now seems pretty good for $9.99 USD.

Math tells the story...again!

I wonder who makes the filter for Toyota? Also, what is the best filter to buy for the LC, OEM?

AC Delco makes a filter for the LC, part number A2047C. $16 bucks, of course it is not in stock. I am going to try one.

Thanks,

uzj100

Last edited:
You can see also over at bobistheoilguy's forum that the K&N's let it come on through. It makes it all the way through to the oil. Mmm... dust.... yummy. I believe the evidence. I haven't used a K&N in about 5 or so years. Every K&N UOA is worse than every stock air filter UOA when all other variables are reasonably consistent.

I will be the first one to tell you, I ran quite a few K&Ns. Never again.

uzj100

I went with a Toyota Filter. The parts shop needed a deposit before they would order the AC Delco and they did not know how long it would take.

uzj100

Last edited:
I've got my Mr. T filters on the way from CDan along with wipers. Hopefully getting ready for some precipitation! It's a freakin' dustbowl around here. Tires on the 100 are orange donuts but from dust not mud. We didn't even get any rain out of that trop storm you guys up there got a few weeks back.

Luckily, some guys at Yotech clued me into the K&N thing a few years ago. I've only ran Amsoil or Toyota since. I can't foresee that changing any time soon.

With my type of work environment, I go through about 10-12 filters a year. I do blow them out every four or five days though. That equates to about 3,000 miles if swapped every month.

The 100 I plan on changing every 4-6 months or 5,000 miles.

I figure it's cheap insurance for better engine life and performance.

I also change my oil every 3,000.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom