Air filter soaked with oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was poking around tonight with my new to me 86 60. I pulled the air filter and noticed it was dripping in oil. It seems to be coming in from the rear hose that runs from the rear top of the air filter to the rear top of the valve cover. That hose just goes onto a metal nipple? Or is there supposed to be a PCV valve there? And could this at all be related to the fact that I just noticed the PO forgot to reinstall the dipstick, meaning as of right now it has no dipstick?

I'm no expert, everybody knows that, but I'm thinking this has nothing to do with your dipstick.
I'm thinking bad rings and blowby is pressurizing the inside of the engine and therefore blowing oil out anywhere it can. Check you PCV valve, (I don't think it's on the valve cover, but they got moved around a lot...) and see if it is indeed venting. They can get gummed up and stuck.
I'll say a prayer for you tonight, that's it's just a stuck PCV valve.

ay ok, well here's hoping it is just a stuck PCV valve causing pressure to force oil out of that rear tube and into the filter housing. Man would it suck to have a "new" 60 needing a rebuild.

I heard that you should blow through your PCV valve, both ways, to see if it is working correctly...Might want to clean it up (the PCV) before attempting this...

I will be picking up a new PCV on Thursday, so I'm sure hoping that's my only problem.

How many miles on this engine?

a measley 153K.. so I would be surprised if it has any major issues... but who knows.

I'm POSITIVE it's just a faulty PCV....(crossing fingers, gonna say a prayer anyway)

Yeah pull the vacuum line off the top of PCV valve while it is idling and make sure you have vacuum too. The vacuum line can get totally clogged sometimes. If it is clogged, then I would do a compression check unless you just don't want to know and it runs well. Also check the lines to the smog pump from the air cleaner housing. If it gets bad, the smog pump and can suck in some oil from the housing causing more problems.

Last edited:
Okay just hold up.
Is this a factory paper air filter or does it look like a K&N aftermarket air filter with ribs and metal mesh?

The K&N style filters a cleanable and requires (after cleaning) a spray with an oily substance, which once left to sit may and can ooze down to a lower ground and appear as a massive puddle of oil, which in fact it is, just not oil from your vehicle.

Please consider this information before jumping to conclusions, heck I may be wrong, but I may be able to fix your engine with three paper towels.

Hit the branches before the trunk.

Good luck.

ha, I wish it was a K and N so I could throw it right away. Not, it's paper, and the housing was so oily when I separated the top from the bottom oil was dripping from the top of the air cleaner assembly. The filter was sitting in a puddle of oil, which no doubt made it into my poorly running carb. Still hoping it's the PCV. I will do the vacuum check, put in a new PCV and do a compression check for grins. I have faith in LC's, so I bet (hope) it's just the PCV.

ha, I wish it was a K and N so I could throw it right away. Not, it's paper, and the housing was so oily when I separated the top from the bottom oil was dripping from the top of the air cleaner assembly. The filter was sitting in a puddle of oil, which no doubt made it into my poorly running carb. Still hoping it's the PCV. I will do the vacuum check, put in a new PCV and do a compression check for grins. I have faith in LC's, so I bet (hope) it's just the PCV.

Hopefully this is the case and you caught it early. I had a clogged PCV line that I believe caused my rings to go.

Probably blowby, could just be valves.

I stand corrected.

I must be missing something, why would you throw away a K&N? I have used them for years with great success...

i'm just in the camp that they flow better because they let a lot more through, meaning they don't filter down to that small of a size. Probably not that big of a deal on a 2F to have super clean air anyway. I just wouldn't use that style of air filter on anything newer, I've fouled out MAF sensors with them already after re oiling them. I have run big K&N's on old Mopars, and they seemed to flow well.

So, how big of a project is adjusting the valves? Couple of hour job? I'm sure the engine could probably use it regardless. I'm anal with maintenance, looks like I picked an LC that will need lots of under the hood TLC to make me sleep good at night.

I heard that you should blow through your PCV valve, both ways, to see if it is working correctly...Might want to clean it up (the PCV) before attempting this...

The additional benefit is your valve will greatly enjoy it.

Not that difficult. Feeler gage, screw driver, and 14mm wrench.. Maybe 20-30 minutes. IIRC, you are shooting for .010 play in between the valve and rocker...

Oh, you need a good way to rotate the engine so you can tighten them all up. 46mm socket (1- 13/16 in)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom