Air Conditioner x Fuse Box Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Landcruiser w/ 240k miles on it about 3 months ago. I did some basic research on what to be alert of when buying a used Landcruiser (timing belt, regular maintenance, under carriage rust) and this LC passed the test. Love the vehicle, but I also love AC.

Let me get to the issue here:

• 4 weeks ago, my AC worked to my knowledge.
  • 2 weeks ago, my AC stopped working.
    • By stopped working I mean no cold air was blowing, only hot.
    • On the dash monitor (what ever its called where you control the AC), the AC button started flashing on and off.
  • I assumed the AC needed the routine charge/tune up, so I went to Valvoline. No luck.
  • I went to my family preferred Mechanic's Garage. He told me the following need replaced:
    • Fuse Box
    • Air Conditioner Compressor
    • Initially quoted us $190 for the Fusebox & $1300 for the AC Compressor, so about $1500.
  • I brought my car back to sit and think on this. The following morning, I tried to start my car and the battery wouldn't work at first.
    • The lights were on auto and it was a parked partially in a a Car port, I didn't check but the lights could have stayed on.
    • There was a torrential downpour that night.
    • I also had a phone charger still plugged in to the cig lighter.
    • Not sure if that played a part.
  • After getting it jumped, I took it back over to the shop thinking it may have been fusebox related. Since I was quoted at $189, I was going to take it.
    • The mechanic team tried starting the car through out the car, it worked fine. Still works fine.
    • They said the battery is good.
    • They said that Toyota's have this issue from time to time.
    • So in my mind, thats resolved.
  • I get a call back that they were misquoted on the fuse box that I was planning to get replaced. Turns out with labor its going to be $1200.

• So now it looks like if I want AC, its going to cost $2400.
    • Fusebox - $1200 (P&L)
    • AC Compressor - $1200 (P&L)
Before I pay $2400, I wanted to get some opinions or thoughts from you all. Is there anything I should do or can do to not have to pay $2400 for my AC to work? I can provide the actual quotes when I get my car back with what they have listed, but I utilized this website when making my decision to buy the LC so I know there's a wealth of knowledge on here. Id really appreciate some feedback or direction on what I should or can do.

I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Landcruiser w/ 240k miles on it about 3 months ago. I did some basic research on what to be alert of when buying a used Landcruiser (timing belt, regular maintenance, under carriage rust) and this LC passed the test. Love the vehicle, but I also love AC.

Let me get to the issue here:

• 4 weeks ago, my AC worked to my knowledge.
  • 2 weeks ago, my AC stopped working.
    • By stopped working I mean no cold air was blowing, only hot.
    • On the dash monitor (what ever its called where you control the AC), the AC button started flashing on and off.
  • I assumed the AC needed the routine charge/tune up, so I went to Valvoline. No luck.
  • I went to my family preferred Mechanic's Garage. He told me the following need replaced:
    • Fuse Box
    • Air Conditioner Compressor
    • Initially quoted us $190 for the Fusebox & $1300 for the AC Compressor, so about $1500.
  • I brought my car back to sit and think on this. The following morning, I tried to start my car and the battery wouldn't work at first.
    • The lights were on auto and it was a parked partially in a a Car port, I didn't check but the lights could have stayed on.
    • There was a torrential downpour that night.
    • I also had a phone charger still plugged in to the cig lighter.
    • Not sure if that played a part.
  • After getting it jumped, I took it back over to the shop thinking it may have been fusebox related. Since I was quoted at $189, I was going to take it.
    • The mechanic team tried starting the car through out the car, it worked fine. Still works fine.
    • They said the battery is good.
    • They said that Toyota's have this issue from time to time.
    • So in my mind, thats resolved.
  • I get a call back that they were misquoted on the fuse box that I was planning to get replaced. Turns out with labor its going to be $1200.

• So now it looks like if I want AC, its going to cost $2400.
    • Fusebox - $1200 (P&L)
    • AC Compressor - $1200 (P&L)
Before I pay $2400, I wanted to get some opinions or thoughts from you all. Is there anything I should do or can do to not have to pay $2400 for my AC to work? I can provide the actual quotes when I get my car back with what they have listed, but I utilized this website when making my decision to buy the LC so I know there's a wealth of knowledge on here. Id really appreciate some feedback or direction on what I should or can do.
I assume there's a relay problem that they're worried about. A lot of relays are not serviceable and you have to replace the whole junction box. How do they know the AC compressor is bad?

In short, what details can you give us that help you answer this question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom