Air Conditioner Questions-Any Advise Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am phasing out of my affection and affliction with old Jeeps (they left me stranded too many times). The Wagoneers, J10's and CJ's are all gone. I have owned two FJ62 and now want to phase into a 1997 80 series. I have located one that is built exactly to the spec I want. Seller is asking top dollar, and I am close to paying it as it is built so well and I need a rig for my Summer hiking excursions. I've been left at the trailhead too many times by my Wagoneers. There is only 1 flaw to this 1997 Land Cruiser- the a/c system failed. He thinks it is the condensor. None of my Jeeps had a/c, but if i am upgraded to a LC, my wife would really not mind the vehicle if it had a/c. I never nor do I want to do any a/c repairs. Can anyone please give me an estimate guess as to what a qualified mechanic would charge to supply and replace a 1997 LC condensor? I really admire all your LC's and can't wait to get a rig and is turn key and reliable.

Howdy! No exact numbers, but I would hazard a guess at 300 - 600 installed, flushed, and filled with 134a. Your lucky it's not R12, like in the older rigs. John

I am phasing out of my affection and affliction with old Jeeps (they left me stranded too many times). The Wagoneers, J10's and CJ's are all gone. I have owned two FJ62 and now want to phase into a 1997 80 series. I have located one that is built exactly to the spec I want. Seller is asking top dollar, and I am close to paying it as it is built so well and I need a rig for my Summer hiking excursions. I've been left at the trailhead too many times by my Wagoneers. There is only 1 flaw to this 1997 Land Cruiser- the a/c system failed. He thinks it is the condensor. None of my Jeeps had a/c, but if i am upgraded to a LC, my wife would really not mind the vehicle if it had a/c. I never nor do I want to do any a/c repairs. Can anyone please give me an estimate guess as to what a qualified mechanic would charge to supply and replace a 1997 LC condensor? I really admire all your LC's and can't wait to get a rig and is turn key and reliable.

if it's just the condensor, I'd say a couple hundred in parts and freon and about an hour or two of the mechanic's time.

if it's one of the six or seven relays and/or sensors that's out, you're looking at anywhere between 500 and 1000 for diagnosis and repair.

it took the lexus dealership about a week of digging before they figured out what the problem was with my wife's ac. it turned out to be 3 different things that oddly went out at the same time...

on my rig, I busted a line to the condensor -- a good buddy here on the board helped me fix it at his shop and once it was recharged, it's been fine ever since.

there's really no way to know until you dig into it.

Howdy! I would recommend going to a full time dedicated A/C shop or the dealership. Ain't no bargains, but at least they know what they are looking at, compared to a lube shop or parts store that "also does a/c". John

condensor with the clutch is somewhere north of $600 i think. its pricey!

probably a good chance you can figure it out yourself, fix the problem and then fill it up yourself too...

probably a good chance you can figure it out yourself, fix the problem and then fill it up yourself too...

:lol:

you haven't dealt with serious a/c issues on an 80 yet, have you?

Thanks for everyone's help. This site has convinced me to get away from the Jeeps and into another LC. I look forward to pushing it to the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom