Air Conditioner Leaking on Passenger Floor Carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I believe my A/C is leaking inside the car (2000 LX470). When running there is a slow drip onto the passengers side carpet in front of the seat.

When I have my usual paper trash down there the fluid leaves a pinky/greeny type stain on it - so I don't think it is pure water.

Anyone seen this, or have suggestions for a DIY remedy?

Thanks

You have a clogged evaporator or suction valves.

Getting in to have a look is easy. Take off your glove compartment and then undo the evaporator cover (brows my build thread for details)

Cleaning evaporators or changing suction valves are not something I would recommend unless you have experience. There are off the shelf cans in some auto stores that claim to clean evaporators but there is 11 years of **** in there, it should probably go to a workshop.

6pGXBQ-vBsqUSUVv-Po3VcnEjVS4sQqu7ZCp1Qmlm8H7P4faDD62fy9fDaRA1IOSUVxkUEWYBefLXACJB1nC5Uist4VjRhqg0C1gL9SCMPYfvE5z4kEYvB3GtSS7smarYokYlU3Y1PB0iWaJeq7PycQY1H1CqDf-gtlAJqcYMg

A blocked condensate drain will give you fluid in the interior, but it will be water...clear.

Red (Toyota or Zerex Asian fluids) or green (regular US coolant) indicate a possible heater core or heater hose issue.

I'm a-hopin' its the condensate drain ;)

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

My car is in the shop for some starter work. I mentioned the leak and possible drain blockage to them and they have 'diagnosed' a problem with the Seal Evaporator Case.

Of course they could be pulling stuff out of their a** to justify charging me more money:(

What you're seeing could be the mold/mildew in the drain line.

Have you ever opened up the case? If so then the seal may not be reinstalled correctly thus the "seal evaporator case" problem. There is a cleaner that you can spray into the drain tube that foams up in the evaporator and cleans all that crud out but if its really plugged then you may need to open the cast and clean it out.

I am having this same issue with my 98. What is the harm if problem is ignored? What is the fix?

I am having this same issue with my 98. What is the harm if problem is ignored? What is the fix?
If it is an evaporator core leak, the harm if ignored could be an overheated engine, due to coolant loss.
Fix: New evaporator core or hoses.

If it is a blocked condensate drain, the harm if ignored could be more mold build up, which smells.
Fix: clean the evaporator core, so it won't smell, and unclog the condensate drain, so it can leak on the ground.

There is a thread on this. I had the same problem. Need to clean drain and fix the seal using some sealant or gasket material. Use the search.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD Forum

Don't buy a new cover. I did, no need. Save your money and just use gasket maker as the op suggested and check drains.

...via IH8MUD app

Honda - what are those photos showing? Did you build your own new gasket out of those pieces?

What do ya'll recommend for a foaming cleaner?

BG frigi clean worked well for me

...via IH8MUD app

FYI you can pull the entire cover off for a good cleaning and to re seal the bottom half (where the factory seal is). Pull the glove box off and you will see 6 (I think) small black phillips screws. Take them all out along with a couple wiring brackets. It's a tight squeeze but you can pull the whole cover off without removing the dash.
Once off I cleaned my drain tube with weed eater line and sprayed a bleach solution in the evaporator coil. Be sure and rinse good with water.
To seal the lower part and keep water from dripping in the floor, I used some black non-hardening gasket stuff. It doesn't dry too stiff and won't act as much like a glue as some do.
Hope that helps!

...via IH8MUD app

For those that have resealed the lower part of the cover because it's leaking, what sealant did you use? I have some Toyota FIPG around, is that ideal or should I use something softer?

I would use something softer incase you have to remove it for some cleaning.

Noticed tonight that mine started leaking after upgrading to the cabin airfilter 2pc door found in the LX. ( someday I may learn to leave properly working things alone) Didnt leak prior to the mod, so I dont think its clogged. I was careful to get the door aligned and seal set and carefully draw the door down evenly, but must have not done something correctly. Thinking removing the door and adding some black rtv to seal the bottom back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom