Air Compressor Question

Hey Now..

I was wondering what is the smallest size air compressor I could use to be able to generate enough torque to take off and put back on tire lugs. nuts

Can you feasibly use those portables? Or need a little bigger?

Anyone know?

foxfab

you;ll have to look at the minimum pressure/CFM requirements of the particular air gun that you are going to use.

I see... but generally, do the smaller compressors supply enough for a typical air gun?

I saw at Lowes, Home Depot and Sears they have the portable compressors for under 200 bucks. One is of a "pancake" style.

Do they usually supply what the typical air gun requires? (I haven't an air gun and need to buy one so I have no clue what they need to run)

All I want to do is get my lugs (tires) off and on regularly.

Haven't hought about a cordless..

Would that generate enough torque to get the lugs off?

Some of these guys really tighten those bad boys on there good. I can't even take my lugs off with the supplied manual lug wrench.

Lars

More than enough torque but they can be pricey.

Also, Harbor Frieght has a cheap electric impact that you connect to either your car's battery or plug it in to the cigg lighter. It works well too... for what it is.

I just cant see buying a compressor and an air impact strictly to remove lugs.

alia176

I used to have a corded impact from Sears until I went to the Pneumatic world. It worked great. For portable options, the corded ones (12vdc) work kinda funky. I think they wind up and hit once a second, or something like that.

Lars

alia176 said:
the corded ones (12vdc) work kinda funky. I think they wind up and hit once a second, or something like that.
Yep, just like that. Again, if just taking off lug nuts is the issue at hand I think it would be a solid option.

Top Bottom