Air Compressor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
At the risk of really giving myself away here with how little wrenching I've done before.. ......I have a question..

I'm about to buy an air compressor for light wrenching....sanding of rust spots... spraying of rust preventatives and light painting and also I want it to be able to take my lug nuts off and on for quick tire removal.

So... what size is best for me? I'm researching them all and I see 3 gallon, 15 gallon, 20 gallon,.. etc.. I assume I probaly need 125 PSI

And the CFM.. what is the min I need for lug removal?

Any useful advice for my first Compressor purchase? (yea, I know.. just take the rig to the freakin dealer) hahahahah

thxs..

you might get a better response in the chat section. anywhoo, don't go cheap, no-name on a compressor, like, say, harbor freight. your basic run of the mill 25-30 gal compressor will do the job fine. check sears or home depot. cheers

Just be sure to NOT get one of those "oil-free" types, Sears sells a lot of them. They are VERY noisy, even your neighbors will hate it.

If you have the connection, get one that will run on 220V.

Buy one that's bigger than you think you'll need - you'll be amazed at all the stuff you start using it for.

spend 500. the higher the cfm the better. impact guns run on just about anything, the psi in the tank runs the gun for the little blast.

grinders and such are the are volume killer as they spin and use air like mad. the impact goes in spurts. then you can wait till it recharges. bigger the number the faster it goes.

ya belt drive ones are the best. direct drive oiless are cheap and noisy, but do work. depends what what you want to do.

Try checking your local Lowe's, I know at my store we have a few clearance models that are half off. I know we sold a few $800 80 gallon models for $200, might be worth your while...

You really need 150psi or more for removing the things you'll run into on a Cruiser - suspension nuts, etc. Cheap air wrenches are inefficient (read: require more air than good ones). I know - all I have is cheap air wrenches, but a big compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom