Air compressor purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
After waiting for too many decades, and after finally buying a midsize compressor, I've run out of capacity and collected too many tools.

I am tired of waiting for a used compressor to show up somewhere, so I'm looking for recommendations for a compressor that will:
a) be at least minimally suitable for body work (sanding and painting), although I'm not opening a body shop, so "continuous duty" would actually be about as long as it takes to empty a 1-qt gun;
b) run my "soon to be up-and-running" vapor cabinet for no more than 20 minutes at a time.

Has to be single phase, but cna be 240VAC.

I'm a big fan of IR brand of air comps and tools. If you show up at a local industrial parts house that sell IR stuff, they might have a reman air comp for a lot less price. With that said, I got lucky and found my IR dual piston/dual stage/60gal/240vac vertical air comp second hand on CL many years ago. It was rebuilt by a local IR dealer from what the sticker says.

I've also found several vertical or horz 60/80 tanks minus the compressor on CL. Or, I found a really old non operational air comp head on a large tank. Folks just wanna get their shop space back and will literally pay you haul them away, not knowing that they're worth something to someone. You might be able to save money on the tank and spend it on a nice dual piston/dual stage head, maybe?

Blasting takes a lot of air. I would suggest figuring out your actual air demands to determine the CFM you need. Nobody ever complained about having too much air.

None of the new recips are that great. My takeaway is you can spend a ton of money and still get a pile of Chinese junk from all the big brands.

The better compressors start around 15HP and from a better builder you are looking at $15k+. That doesn't make sense for a not-for-profit use.

I know you said you wanted new, but you can build one heck of a nice recip compressor for a couple thousand dollars if you start with used compressor.

Quincy QR-25 series compressors are the best recips ever made. Quincy just discontinued them a couple years ago. They've been made since the 1930's so they are everywhere. A model 325 is a very common size of Quincy. It's a 20 CFM @ 90 PSI compressor. It costs about $700 in parts to completely rebuild and update one.

I run my shop with a pair of skid mounted 5 HP Quincy 325's that I bought used and tuned up. I put them both on Invertek Optidrives with a 5 second accel rate. They feed into a 240 gallon tank before a 100 CFM refer air drier sends air to the shop. I bought the complete rebuild kit for the compressors to have on hand if I need it, but in 2 years of constant running I haven't needed anything for them.

I have heard some decent first hand accounts of these cheap scroll compressors. 12.7 CFM at 90 CFM is not much air at all, but if it can do what you need they sound like a good value.

I just looked on my local Craigslist to see if I was out of touch with reality. This is a Quincy QR-25 series model 340 with a 7.5HP motor. This same compressor, in good used condition from a dealer sells for around $10k. They're asking $1200 ready to rock. You probably don't have 3 phase so I recommend a good quality single to 3 phase 7.5HP VFD which will set you back about $800. You can also change the pulley size or limit the pressure to keep the current under the specs for a 5HP VFD and only spend about $600 for a nice VFD to run it. Yes, you can run a larger motor from a smaller VFD provided you don't pull more pixies than the VFD is designed for. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

IR double pumper x2

Some Home Depot sell them.

I ended up with a Kobalt 60 gal from Lowes (Campbell Hausfeld) which was adequate for my needs (no body work), but regret not getting the IR which at least you can get parts for and has a much higher Duty Rating. This was about 15 years ago, now.

Drain your tank after every use.

Last edited:
Quincy or champion 5hp, 2 stage, after cooled, 80gal for a more budget friendly high quality option. For a little more you can get a highly optioned Saylor Beall that is all made in the USA.

If I still had my shop this is the order I would be shopping in

1) Saylor Beall
2) Champion (R series if I remember correctly)
3) Quincy

If none of those suit your budget and needs then IR or atlas or other store rebrand of your choice. I just highly suggest something with a real after cooler and 2 stage. After coolers really help keep condensation build up down and extend the life of your air dryer media and tools.

I've never seen a Saylor beall or Champion with pressure lube. I know they made them, but they must have mostly sold the splash lube ones.

P
I've never seen a Saylor beall or Champion with pressure lube. I know they made them, but they must have mostly sold the splash lube ones.
Pretty sure it was at least an option on almost all their best selling pumps, I know it was on any of the 7xx series as a couple years ago I had a 705 pump priced out with pressure lube. ( alas life changes and plans change fast) Pretty sure champion dose have the option as well somewhere in the lineup

I'm in the market for a 5hp, 2 stage piston compressor with 60 to 80 gal tank. Obviously reliability is a major consideration but for me, noise, or lack thereof is also a major priority. I will also be installing a blast cabinet and it looks like something around 20 scfm at 90 psig is sufficient for the ones I'm looking at. My research is pointing me in this direction but I am far from an expert on compressors.

Last edited:
Fred, i bought a Quincy 2 stage 7HP 80 gal a couple years back with zero regret. It will still be up and running when I'm gone. Runs anything I throw at it. Buy their oil and air filter kit when you buy it they add 2 years to the warranty.

Quincy owners, use their oil, it has trace chemicals in it in case you have a warranty issue.

I picked up a 5 HP 3PH 480V twin Ingersoll Rand 80 gal vertical compressor for free, brand new, but with shipping damage.

By the time I'm done converting the electrical from 480V/3PH to 230V/1PH, I will have spent more than it cost to buy a brand new one from Tractor Supply as the same unit. Same compressor, 7.5 HP, 230V, 1PH.

The only difference I can tell mine has is an oil level shut down switch.

I've had this compressor in my garage since 2009 and I have yet to turn it on. I need a contactor with fuses to swap out. Trying to find the correct parts is a PITA when you're not an electrician. I have actually gone to Tractor Supply, taken apart the control box to get part numbers to find the parts for mine.

Often times, your local air comp shops that cater to their commercial customers may have rebuilt units for sale. I bought mine through CL many years ago and I saw a sticker that showed that it was rebuilt by the local IR dealer.

Just a thought.

I actually live near IR world headquarters, which, unbelievably, makes it very hard to find a service center.

I actually live near IR world headquarters, which, unbelievably, makes it very hard to find a service center.
Wonder if they have blem units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom