Air compressor for home use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there has been some talk about this in the outfitting section but I would like to know if anyone has any specific recommendations for an air compressor for home use I could purchase here in the valley. Of course this would be used for wrenching on the 80 but I would also like to use for other home projects such as painting, woodworking and whatever else they can be good for. I really don't want to spend more than $400 so I would prefer used (more bang for the buck) but I can't seem to find any. Are the Husky or Craftsman compressors worth the money? What about Harbor Freight?

Kevin - do you have any suggestions? I know you are quite familiar in this area.

Thanks

I have a harbor freight pancake compressor that works really well. I've had it about a year now and no complaints. Best to do is buy the most CFM you can which will help a lot when you're running tools that chew it up like sandblasters and grinders. Nailguns and paint sprayers don't actually use that much, so you're fine for those with just about anything.

For durability get belt drive with an oil type, multi cylinder pump. My first choice for a home shop unit is a 60-gal vertical. like this;

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-3071

If you must have a portable, one in this configuration is my favorite;

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-3054

Unfortunately $400+ is about what it takes to get a good unit and they are hard to find used, in good shape, at a better deal. As far as brands go, most of them are very close, use the same or close motors and pumps, the difference being in the care in balancing, lesser brands vibrate more. Also the lesser brands use cheaper small parts, like belt cages and air filters, that like to rattle loose making lots of noise. That can cause issues if your trying to work and Moma's trying to watch TV!:eek:

Compressors are one of those things where the extra few bucks spent at the time of purchase will pay off, if you plan on using it long term. If you just plan on pumping up a few tires then one of the small disposable ones will probably do. If you plan on buying air tools, chances are that you will like them and as your tool collection grows so will your air needs, so buying more capacity than you currently need is usually money well spent.

I bought this one a few months ago. So far I've used it for airtools and painting my garage. Works really well and it was in stock at the local Sears on sale for $527
60gal Craftsman

Product Overview:
Item Weight 203.0 lbs. General Warranty 1 year home use/90 days commercial use
SCFM Delivery:
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 12.4 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 10.2 SCFM
Tank:Compressor Tank Capacity 60 gal.
Maximum Compressor psi 150 psi
Pump Style Oil Lube
Compressor Tank Type Vertical
Motor-Engine:
Horsepower 3-1/5 hp Drive Type Belt drive Voltage 240 volts
Color:
Overall Color Black
Cord:
Cord Option Hard wire only by a professional electrician Installation Requirements:
Setup Assembly may be required
00918419000.jpg

Last edited:
MaddBaggins said:
I bought this one a few months ago. So far I've used it for airtools and painting my garage. Works really well and it was in stock at the local Sears on sale for $527
60gal Craftsman

No one would buy that junk, we all know sears stuff is over priced junk that the magic smoke comes out of in record time!:eek:

Just messin with Mr Baggins!:D Paste item number 00918419000 in the search on that page to see what he's talking about. The Sears line runs from OK to good stuff, the one Mr Baggins has is a very nice home shop unit.

Last edited:
Tools R Us said:
As far as brands go, most of them are very close, use the same or close motors and pumps, the difference being in the care in balancing, lesser brands vibrate more.

thanks for the input! Are there any local dealers who sell IR compressors? What are your thoughts on the HF compressors, are they at least comparable to the sears and home depot stuff?

whats really important is the tank is cast iron,anything else and your wasting your money.make sure its least a 5 horse and a min.of a 30 gallon tank.really do your homework some compressers can be decieving.dont be afraid to ask.ive not heard anything bad about husky yet.shop around also try tracter farm supply they have a nice selection

I have a Sears 33gal upright. Supposedly makes 6.4cfm@90psi; enough for shadetree mechanic stuff, runs the 1/2" impact reasonably well. Worked great for installing suspension and bumpers, and a small air ratchet is invaluable for interior work, e.g.those darn bolts under the seats, etc. Total bill for compressor, air hose, and (cheap chinese) air tool set was $330 a few years ago.

cruiser88 said:
whats really important is the tank is cast iron,anything else and your wasting your money...

Thankfully cast iron tanks are long gone, they turned to shrapnel when they failed!:eek: All tanks are now welded mild steel.

I have a Puma. I got from HF...you can call into their HQ and they have brands that they don't carry at the store. I got mine delivered for under $400. It is a 30 gal, upright, 5 HP. I have had it for years...only problem was a seal on the oil indicator...$10 fix with shipping. I looked at the IR...mine looked like the same unit but cheaper.
I just looked on the Puma site and can't find the unit I purchased...If I find it I will post.

LCconvert said:
thanks for the input! Are there any local dealers who sell IR compressors? What are your thoughts on the HF compressors, are they at least comparable to the sears and home depot stuff?

I haven't shopped for them in a while and don't know who is carrying them locally. In the past IR used Baldor motors on their units and were worth the premium, that is no longer true. The units made by ABAC/American, branded in a ton of names, are mostly great units depending on what parts are used on them. They make most of the better units in the US, including Mac, Matco, Snap-On and most of the higher end units at places like Sears, etc.

I can order the Belair and IR units wholesale, but freight kills the deal for small orders. There isn't much markup, the market is too completive.

http://www.abacamerican.com/belaire_s.s.electric.html

Shop for local ones you like, post the store and part# and I will stop by the store and give my opinion on them?

cruiser88 said:
my new one is cast iron:confused:

Cast cylinder(s) or tank? Cast pump cylinder(s) = good, cast tank = bad, I doubt that you bought a cast tank unit anytime in the last couple of decades in the US?:confused:

Last edited:
It looks like all the big compressors are 220V. I was not planning on running a new circuit to my shop. I think I found a couple 110V that might be ok. The SCFM is a lot lower than the 220V units, will they still be ok for use at home with wrenches, sanders, grinders, painting, etc?

For example:
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi - 7.1, SCFM Delivery At 90 psi - 6.0 SCFM?

If you need to run 110V your probably better off with a disposable, they are way overdriven and will cheat more air volume out short term. They will run impacts, ratchets, hammers and nailers well. Small die grinders, small paint guns in short bursts. Forget about full sized spray guns, plasma cutters, auto body sanders, sandblasters and bigger grinders.

The ratings are determined by advertising, sales staff, compressors are overrated on output and tools are underrated on air needs.

Whatever you get, avoid the direct drive compressors. The reed valves suck. They bleed pressure back onto the top of the piston and tend to trip breakers when they start up (because of the pressure on top of the piston). Belt driven is the way to go.

Go ahead and run the 220 circuit...you'll want it for the welder and plazma cutter anyway.

I have about made up my mind. I narrowed it down to three compressors: a husky, Kobalt, and a craftsman. All are between 25 and 30 gallons, vertical, and have cast iron pumps. I know I might regret it later but I don't want to deal with 220V right now. I like the portability aspect of these compressors.

I really was interested in the Lowes Kobalt (I think made by ABACamerican) but now Sears is running a sale on all their compressors. The craftsman has the highest cfm rate of 7.1/6.0 @ 40/90psi for $359.99.

Sears item #00919552000 Mfr. model #19552
Home depot Husky Model VT6315
Lowes Kobalt Item #: 215921 Model: KLA1883054

thanks

Last edited:
Do you have any links to those compressors?

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom