Air cleaner relocation on F engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any ideas for relocating the stock air cleaner on a F engine. I would like to install either on-board air or power steering and so I need the space that the stock air cleaner uses.

Thanks, Vince

what I did...

I had the same problem. I bought one of those "tuner" air filters at AutoZone, ripped off the cheap stuff and used the ~3 inch rubber ring and the metal ring that I cut and made flat(to fit stock carb, that was the sticking point) and then bolted and sealed with RTV on a flat Edelbrock air filter I had left over from my old Holey carb. Not the cleanest thing but it works... hth

pictures, pictures, pics... 1k words...
check what I did, sort of related... in the post 2f performance

zaskar_ofn said:
pictures, pictures, pics... 1k words...
check what I did, sort of related... in the post 2f performance

are you running a stock carb or is it a holley, what is that air plenum?
I want to put a snorkle on my 40 but I need to find a new plenum for my holley 500 K&N makes a nice one but it is $180 way past my budget for an air plenum

Thanks for the help. I will start looking for parts.

Landcruisersteve said:
Here's your other post you were talking about. That came out nice.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=672627&postcount=4

By the way, is that your 70 in your avatar? Sweet.

the Avatar? unfortunately no. but I'm sure that with about $12k it could be. it is a friend's truck. It is not in the estates either.
thanks for posting the link over from my question... I can't believe there is not one able to help me on this one...

Pyro-boy said:
Does anyone have any ideas for relocating the stock air cleaner on a F engine. I would like to install either on-board air or power steering and so I need the space that the stock air cleaner uses.

Thanks, Vince

The cadillac seville air box will fit a Holley carb .. just found one on ebay cheap...... this is going to be for a snorkle set up I am working on

This is what I did. Found the air box from a chevy car. dont recall the model, but it was some type of mid 90's sedan. It probably restricts air flow somewhat, but i'm not sure. I would guess that the small engines rev a lot higher=similar air flow. not sure though. I didn't notice a difference. the hoses came off the car with the air cleaner. I had to make a 90 so I used a pvc fitting and glued it into the air hose. It's painted black now.
I mounted the box with a couple brackets to the fender. I also added a barbed fittine to the top of the box and my compressor now takes in filtered air from the air box. The lower tube is the intake and it would make a good transition to a snorkle, but for now I am planning to take air in from the vent on the hside of the apron where the carb fan sits on newer models. This seems like a good place for now.
The entire housing was $5 I think and $15 for a new filter.

HTH

Last edited:
I have the F air cleaner on a 2f with the power steering pump mounted on the lower drivers side with a modified smog pump bracket and the york is mounted off the upper passenger side with a bracket off an FJ60 I think. The alt mounts off the side of the york. The york braket was made by Niepondenso (sp?) I think. This is the best pic I have at work:
engine swap 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom