Air Cleaner Latches, restore or replace?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am restoring my air cleaner housing. The latch hooks(3) are oxidized but appear to have come with some type of yellow coating from the factory originally. I have cleaned up one with 150, 220 and 400 emery cloth and then thought I would just clear coat them for protection, any ideas?? Maybe SSCR can charm in, he redid his housing I believe.
AirCleanerLatch1.JPG

you can also dip the lower part (clamping portion) in black plasti-dip. Ace hardware has this product. You can also heat shrink the said portion. This is the way mine was prior to redoing the entire air cleaner assembly. This will keep the chaffing or rubbing from occurring.

Yep, good quality heat shrink tubing works a treat. Paint the latch gloss black first, then heat shrink the rectangular arms. Leave the wrap a little long so it shrinks up into a little "tit" at the end of the arm.

I had them yellow zinced, looked the closest to original. My air cleaner was powder coated so the zinced parts don't really damage it.

Thanks to everyone, who would I go to to have them yellow zinced?? I also like the heat shrink tubing idea..........all good stuff.

I found a platter and asked if he could do yellow zinc, he said sure. Did a bunch of items to make them look factory new. Really helped the engine compartment.

I send all my stuff to billmark plating in tx though their prices keep rising. Only worth it if you have a ton of stuff to do at once

Thanks guys will look in Phoenix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom