air cleaner gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have been running around in my landcruiser for about 2 years now without the rubber gasket that goes between the aircleaner clamp and the carb. :whoops: I just found out that there is suppesed to be one while looking on SOR. Have I caused damage to my cruiser because I havn't had it. It runs great but now I am freaked out.

If it is not drinking oil, you probably are ok....for now.

Get that gasket!!

Pay attention to oil consumption between changes.

Good luck!

I haven't found a replacement for it, and I don't know why you really have to have it. As a perfectionist, if I could find one, I'd put it on, but so far, no luck. I have no issues so far.

[quote author=IDave
and I don't know why you really have to have it.

*Wild guess* :rolleyes:

Dirt getting into the engine....causing needless wear

Not 100 percent, but that would be my thought...

But what do I know....

Ah, so they do sell them. They must have been out the last time I looked (like they are now for the '69 version).

My AC clamps on so tight I don't think dust could get in, but maybe they aren't all so virginal....

Guess SOR will be getting another piece of my wallet....

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=7095;start=msg58703#msg58703 date=1067916398]
*Wild guess* :rolleyes:

Dirt getting into the engine....causing needless wear

Not 100 percent, but that would be my thought...

But what do I know....
[/quote]

Poser is wrong. There is no need for the gasket . Hell, why even have an air cleaner. I say run it wide open all the time.

BTW: I offer great prices on rebuilt motors.

All you need is a sealing surface. If you were to wrap a bunch of rolls of e tape around the top or the carb and seal down against that you would be ok. Any rubber gasket type material would do the same. If SOR sells it then I bet the dealer sells it also; cheaper.

[quote
Poser is wrong. There is no need for the gasket . Hell, why even have an air cleaner. I say run it wide open all the time.

BTW: I offer great prices on rebuilt motors.

I need a quote on a 78-2F in my 70, that I just found out is dead, because I ran it for years without one of those canister thingys with oil in it, to like filter the air or something...

Help an ignant wretch out...

So maybe it was a good thing I kept and used the ratty old one that came with mine. Shew. :-X

Funny that SOR doesn't show the metal clamp that goes there. :(

Hey! What do you sell a rebuilt F motor for, Dave? I always like to keep a spare around the barn. :D

They do sell the clamp. It is part#10 in the pic at the top. I really wish I would have known about that damn gasket. The air cleaner was clamped on there tight but who knows what got in. :doh:

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=7095;start=msg58758#msg58758 date=1067925611]
They do sell the clamp. It is part#10 in the pic at the top. I really wish I would have known about that damn gasket. The air cleaner was clamped on there tight but who knows what got in. :doh:
[/quote]

AKA hose clamp

Hey, a cheap gasket replacement might be found on the oil filter cartridge when you do a change......That nice gasket can do wonders for pretty cheap outlay. If the 2F filter gasket won't fit, just go to the local jiffy lube and rummage thru their pile of empties til ya find one that will.... :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom