Air bags in a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been considering putting some airbags in the rear leafs to level the old girl out when pulling my trailer. Has anyone done this to a 60 before? There does not seem to be a lot available ,some extreme stuff in oz but not quite what i need. I don't mind fabbing the system but some leads would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Challis

firestone makes some kits, none will be 60 series specific. but can't see why a chebby kit can't be adapted. I thought they were generic kits.

one thing to consider, maybe your stock springs are just toast. putting on airbags may not be the answer. but I am speculating. I have 84 BJ60, the rear springs didn't take a load at all. After I removed them I found many in the middle of the pack(center) were broken. the truck looked fine(well low) and when I put a load in the back sagged heavy. due to it not carrying the weight evenly.

consider putting new leaf springs in if you are stocko. your ride will improve and with weight in it will be great. level and all, due to new springs will make your ass a bit higher, so with weight it will level.

I don't sag with even up to 500lbs in the back of gear. so unless you got a killer tounge weight I can't imagine you pulling that much with a 3B, but hey each to there own.

now I don't know your circumstances, so take that for whats it worth.

If I replace the springs I may as well lift it. I was hoping to keep it stock for a few years or forever if i get a 70 to wheel.
Any how who knows how much stock springs are roughly?
How much is one of those fancy ass belton kits ?

Moose if you ever need a hand give me a call I love to work on anything mechanical and ya I think we are really close i just live over by masons store at the lake.

If you're just looking for stock springs, you might be better off looking for a used set. G&S has a bunch of springs that came off of JDM trucks, but I don't know exactly from which models. Some of them are still good. Would be way cheaper than buying new stock ones, if that's still possible. Or maybe look into a set of custom ones? The Beltons will run you under $2k CAD. The Terrain Tamers on mine were $2100 CAD, and the OME's will be a couple of hundred more than that.

I have a set of stockers in decent shape and I believe they may have a leaf added for extra capacity. I also have the fronts which are good too. PM me if you're interested. Not sure of the value of these but if want 'em make me an offer. I'm coming the Island next Wednesday.

Mac

Huh, just for info, on the French Forum 4X4, and series 6 yahoo board, there's several guys who've put opel corsa coil springs between the frame and the axle to raise a bit the sagging trucks. thoses springs are olive shaped (for the lack of a better word in my vocabulary) . I think you could find something similar in northern american cars.

Best regards.

Max.

I bought lifted BDS, with OME shackles(anti reversal) came with bushings, shocks, pins(greaseable) and anything elese needed.

I paid 2500 CAD from NSOR. expensive cause I added OME shackles and pins,

You just bought new shocks, so if you like stock, then just call up a spring shop. You will get standard springs made up and you can custom do it if you want( for more or less weight)

All you need is prolly new shackles, pins, bushings, and then just buy the springs from a spring shop. thats the cheapest way, and if you are going stock, no problemo.

I think my 3B could tow a transport truck in 4 low, stopping would be another story

Eric Winkworth said:
I think my 3B could tow a transport truck in 4 low, stopping would be another story

when your on a high incline, or in mud or sand, that 3b uses up that torque pretty quickly.

I've had it were I would run out of power if I tried 2nd. 4L that is...

Ok so i asked the boss about the lift and she said no way!!!!
I guess I'm staying stock until the kids are out of diapers. I need a sponsor....bad. :crybaby:

silvercrusher said:
I guess I'm staying stock until the kids are out of diapers. I need a sponsor....bad. :crybaby:

Not a "lift"....rather a "passive vehicle stabilization and supplimentary child safety device"...but I guess you blew it already eh?

silvercrusher said:

your only looking at less than 150 a spring for non lift replacements. buy 40 dollars worth or less of bushing. use a torch to remove the pins, as to not hammer them to hell and back.

if you just do the back( so your trailer doesn't scrape your muffler on the ground) you could probably do it for 300 bucks, 500 installed at a spring shop in Van, don't know about the island.

if you do it your self get a oxy/ace torch. you have to burn the bushings to release the pins. otherwise you might damage the pins.

airbags are going to cost alot more than that, IMOP

oh you shouldn't have to go to Toyota a for only stock height spring. A jobber aftermarket spring for FJ60 should be availible at most parts store, try a few shops to see if they can order them.

That will keep you from slouching too much in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom