Air Bag light on when@dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,I have not posted here in a wile but I had a question about the Air Bag light on the dash.We just picked up our 04 100LC from the local dealership after a 30k service.The tech that worked on our truck stated that the air bag light came on wile he was doing the service.
We have owned the 100 since last summer and the light never came on for us.Truck has 98k on it now.The tech said there was a history on the light as it had been checked or on before.
Their estimate to fix the problem I had to hear sitting down.$737bucks!!!ouch.Anyway they pulled the code B0101,and diagnosed a sprial cable in the steering wheel p/n#84306-60080 @$272.02 for this part and the rest 3.5 hr.labor.They said sprial cable as code intermittent with wheel position.
Oh yea then after a major service they forget to fill wiper fluid!! Res. looked empty.Also left off driver side wiper blade(got a copy of the techs paper-said out of stock and did not transfer to final invoice)Makes you wonder what they did and did not do.
Thanks,John

10 to 1 - the light never lit but the code was stored in the ECU when they checked.

Some codes are designed to store but not "Light up" without repeat occurrences in a given time frame because they could occur in normal operation occasionally without indicating a serious problem.

Drive it to see if it returns and really lights up.

Thanks 100,With my long winded post I failed to mention that the light is in fact on now!! The dealer also did a power steering flush,so I am thinking that the tech.would have been cranking the the wheel back and forth a bunch to help flush out.I am wondering how long I can drive with it on and if it will cause the air bag(s) not to deploy if needed.
Thanks,John

That sucks.

Reminds me that there are only two causes of mechanical failure.
1. Lack of Maintenance
2. Improperly performed maintenance

Sounds like you'll need to do the work. I think I'd go somewhere else.

I had this happen to my 95 land rover years ago. In fact they took the steering wheel off, moved the steering and then put it back on. Snapped the spiral ribbon disconnecting the airbag. They blamed me for it. Luckily I was well informed and could prove their fault but I agree with the "improperly performed maintenance" and I add exorbitant shop rates to that. That was the LAST time my rover was in a shop. That was 5 years ago and it has been surprisingly inexpensive since when the maintenance is performed with logic by me and with care even a needy car like that does not have to be expensive. The thing Toyota got going is that there is less potential trouble but problems with dealers charging a lot and improper maintenance seem to be somewhat similar. I had a boatload of problems with my last toyota (06) and incompetent dealers. Still I do take "less potential trouble" over a nuisance any day. my rover is now my off road vehicle build to the max and if I mess it up tipping it on its roof, oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom