1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Bag a 97 LX450

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Lexonroids, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Lexonroids

Lexonroids

Media:
    Albums:
    ANy help on finding a variable height air bag suspension for a LX450. I would like to raise and lower about 3 inches but need it to support all the good offroad armor?

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Nobody's done it here that I know of. - mainly due to the 80's existing suspension capability and to questionable field durability/reliability of replacing proven steel coils with potentially leaky airbags. Seems like every automaker that's done an air suspension has had serious problems after the miles pile up.

DougM

3. Lexonroids

Lexonroids

Media:
    Albums:
    I have been going back and forth with that also. I like the idea of lowering the truck for clients to get in that is all. Maybe I will just get a step ladder for those grandma's. Thanks.

4. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

What kind of spring rates the things have. While some sport SUVs or cars have factory air suspension, those models are designed to use it as a performance enhancement. From what I've seen of the air bag suspension designs, they're more designed as a showy type thing as opposed to something that will make the car handle better.

I don't have any personal experience, but all I can say is find someone who DOES. Something like airbag suspension can be very damaging, or indeed, dangerous if the components aren't of the highest quality. I’ve heard a few horror stories about bags popping and leaving people stranded at 0psi.... do your HW, don’t go cheap, and talk to people who have bags on their cars.

Again if you're considering this as a performance enhancement, then forget it.

Good luck -:beer:

5. FirstToy

FirstToy

6. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

Don't be diswaded. It has been done - Povich did it, though if you find out how, send me the info. I've never been able to find it.

Performance wise - I think LX_Treme is correct for some situations. There are some companies out now that have taken aftermarket auto airbags from a better riding solution than hydrolics to a actual high performance handling set up.

Reliability wise - like most parts, it depends on what quality you buy. They're used on Semi-trucks and dump trucks all over the place with good reliability. If you buy cheap crap, you'll get cheap crap. I don't really take the failure of Ford to make it work on Towncars to be a sign that the idea is a bad one. I know alot of people are worried about punctures, but there are people running them.

The best option IMHO, abet an expensive one, is air bags coil over shocks.

http://www.universalairsuspension.co...products_id=38

http://www.universalairsuspension.co...products_id=66

Very cool. Once the air bag bottoms out, the normal spring rate is in effect. So you can tune your dual rate springs. You can also drop the pressure out to aid entry and exit. There was a thread on it that got really screwed up. I have since confermed that dual rate coilover shocks work the way I thought they did, and the above is accurate. Of course, the price for this kind of coolness (beyond the cost of the coil overs) is that you've got to convert to coil overs and make your own custom mounts.

Course, all this without asking why you want to do it. If it's for getting in an out of a raised truck, photoman did some rotating sliders, and I have something up my sleave that I'll be posting in a week or so.
    COILOVER.gif

7. thelal

thelal

Media:
    Ireland; USA (WA,CO, CA, CT), Scotland, London
    There are some Aussie boys using air bag suspensions (coils gone). Search 80scool /_aus
    I've toyed with the idea and hope 2 eventually do it but b4 that need 2 learn some welding, get more spare $ etc....

8. Bigshone

Bigshone

9. kennyv0826

kennyv0826

I was seriously considering the above pictured air bag/ coilover combo on my 80 so I could have fully adjustable ride height and dampening adjustments. You have about 5-6 inches of up and down adjustment which is pretty dang cool. Plus you can control each corner independently which would work great in off camber situations.

10. LUVMY804EVR

LUVMY804EVR

I have been searching and most threads are not providing much info on this subject yet. Has anyone out there tried this yet or something similar? There have been some interesting ideas coming up and none seem to be coming over for the 80. I realize that a 3 or 4 link up front seem to be a must, unless you like the white knuckle death grip going down the highway! Here is another idea but possibly cheaper without the cost of the coil over and possibly will allow you to use the stock springs. http://www.airovercoil.com/
    I like the idea of the truck not being stranded when the air system fails and don't necessary think that there needs to be any improvements in off-road ability over stock set up or slightly modified. I like the idea of 3-4" of lift over the 2+ it would take to fit the 35"'s when driving with the air out in the springs. This would work well with several things: Getting in and out with the kids and wife, adding a low profile roof rack and still get in and out of the garage, until you forget to lower and rip it off, lower for high speed driving, lift for clearance off road, leveling the front and back, adding armor, towing and so on.

11. robmir

robmir

There are some rumors the new series 200 Land Cruiser will have OEM off-road / on-road in dash variable height adjustment control :D

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">