AHC Stuck In Low Following Suspension Fluid Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This evening I drained the suspension fluid reservoir and filled it with 2 quarts of Toyota suspension fluid prior to draining all 4 globes and the accumulator.

After draining, I started the vehicle and I hear it attempting to pressurize. While in low. After a minute or two, the "Off" light begins blinking and pump noise stops.

If I have missed an applicable thread, my apologies. I'm only finding stuck in low after having driven, or other instances. Not as a result of AHC fluid change.

I'm hoping just draining the fluid hasn't messed something up. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

This evening I drained the suspension fluid reservoir and filled it with 2 quarts of Toyota suspension fluid prior to draining all 4 globes and the accumulator.

After draining, I started the vehicle and I hear it attempting to pressurize. While in low. After a minute or two, the "Off" light begins blinking and pump noise stops.

If I have missed an applicable thread, my apologies. I'm only finding stuck in low after having driven, or other instances. Not as a result of AHC fluid change.

I'm hoping just draining the fluid hasn't messed something up. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

I'll add that I attempted the pump cycle, turning engine on/off several times with no change to results.

You need to bleed the system. There's air in it.

And if it still won’t raise to N then keep bleeding.
Thank you! With fluid in the reservoir not dropping that was my assumption as well. Do you know, do I bleed from the accumulator, or from all bleed valves? I’m not familiar with how it all “flows”.

Definitely air if you started it up after drain and before refill.

You can help a bit by jacking up the front and rear and pulling fluid into the system - this extends the shocks.

Thank you! With fluid in the reservoir not dropping that was my assumption as well. Do you know, do I bleed from the accumulator, or from all bleed valves? I’m not familiar with how it all “flows”.

Bleed from anywhere you can. Globes, accumulator, etc. if you’re getting pure fluid with no bubbles from the globes and accumulator but it’s still not working, you may need to bleed air out of the join below the motor on the passenger side by the frame. There’s threads detailing the bleeding process.

Put the truck in low and bleed the globes until the truck hits the bump stops, then close the valves and start the truck and let it raise back to Low. Then repeat until there's no bubbles. Be careful when it goes to the bump stops as it'll lower further if you're under it. I had to bleed mine a few times last time I changed the fluid and then also had to bleed some air out of the join below the reservoir before the system was fully bled.

Last edited:
The lesson here for others: keep that reservoir full AT ALL TIMES during a fluid change.

No doubt. I'll add, while I drew down the fluid I did not empty the reservoir. I took it down and added two new quarts of the Toyota fluid with a third on standby for dialing in levels once completed. I'll work on bleeding the system further today.

No doubt. I'll add, while I drew down the fluid I did not empty the reservoir. I took it down and added two new quarts of the Toyota fluid with a third on standby for dialing in levels once completed. I'll work on bleeding the system further today.
Did you add two quarts at once?

I can't recall exactly, but I think when I did my change I was adding at most .5 liters at a time. Maybe even .25 liters. The ahc guide that was posted on here years ago suggests 6 oz at a time max.

Did you add two quarts at once?

I can't recall exactly, but I think when I did my change I was adding at most .5 liters at a time. Maybe even .25 liters. The ahc guide that was posted on here years ago suggests 6 oz at a time max.

Yes, I added two quarts at once, based on YouTube video I pulled the process from. I have a nice new fluid pump so I can certainly draw some out and proceed with smaller amounts.

Yes, I added two quarts at once, based on YouTube video I pulled the process from. I have a nice new fluid pump so I can certainly draw some out and proceed with smaller amounts.
Eek. That's a ton. That's 10 times the recommended amount from the old cheat sheet on here and at least a few times more than what I did. You might want to comment on that video and let folks know that might be too much.

It's real annoying to have that bleeding process to deal with. Good luck!

Eek. That's a ton. That's 10 times the recommended amount from the old cheat sheet on here and at least a few times more than what I did. You might want to comment on that video and let folks know that might be too much.

It's real annoying to have that bleeding process to deal with. Good luck!

Thank you for you input. Did you eventually end up using the ~2.4L of fluid in servicing yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom