AHC Performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious how so many folks are positive on AHC. I owned a 2004 (HDJ100 ) from new and had repeated incidents with sensor(s) failures (in Switz.). Toyota replaced many sensors and on several occassions I had the front end when in normal at full height (go figure) and the rear lower. This created a very dangerous vehicle dynamic. After multiple tries from the dealer to sort this out I lost total confidence in the system-- driving in the snow when you discover the front end is 'floating' with 7 in the truck-- you get the image (and I am from VT and understand snow driving). So Toyota offered me a new 2005 and again the sensor issues persisted. It is not a comforting experience to drive on the Autobahn or Autostrada when the front end is 'floating' and add some rain! I ended up ripping out the AHC and going old-school with OME all the way around and NEVER LOOKED back. Sure it is a harder suspension, yes there is a rake and when at times it would be convenient to drop the truck (like entering a parking garage), I have zero confidence in AHC but understand I might just be 'that guy' who had bad luck not once but in 2 new trucks! I think there is some speculation that perhaps the sensors and road salt are not a good combo but again, this is only speculation. My experience with 30+ years of L/C (FJ40; FJ80; and HDJ100s)-- mechanically bombproof but the later generations electronics are letting Toyota down....now I have a VGRS issue....sure we all know s__t happens, but I understand now why in Africa they drive ONLY the most basic models, no turbo, manuals, and keeping is as simple as possible....makes sense to me, but what do I know....only my 2 cents worth...I drive the HDJ100 now confidently knowing the suspension is reliable and won't let me down but yes a bit hard.

MY AHC COMPLETELY FAILED THIS MORNING! FLUID AT ALL FOUR CORNERS! A NOTE LEFT ON THE RESIVOIR SAYS

"COME TO THE DARK SIDE.

YOURS TRULY,
OME"

WHAT SHALL I DO ?!?!

(Edit: this is in jest and in no way reflects on OME)

Last edited:
....with 7 in the truck-- ......

That may have been a part of your problem. I suspect the sensor failures might have been mis-diagonosis and you were actually just over the weight limit of the system. Sensor failure happens, but it's relatively rare, even in really high mileage rigs. 7 people, assuming they all weigh ~150 lbs, is right at the limit of the system. The system will fail to maintain height beyond ~1100 lbs and that's right about where you'd be with 7 adults (or a few kids and some gear).

If I were carrying 1100 lbs on occasion, I'd tune the AHC system for about 750 lbs of payload (meaning when it's at the mechanic and they're installing springs and torsion bars you need to have that weight in the vehicle). I'm guessing the dealer tried to tune per the FSM, which states an empty vehicle.

AHC can handle a wide range of payload, but once you're beyond it's limits, you're screwed. The person tuning the system needs to understand its use case and adapt the tuning procedure to the intended payload. I'm guessing that did not happen in your case.

Just my theory... :)

Curious how so many folks are positive on AHC. I owned a 2004 (HDJ100 ) from new and had repeated incidents with sensor(s) failures (in Switz.). Toyota replaced many sensors and on several occassions I had the front end when in normal at full height (go figure) and the rear lower. This created a very dangerous vehicle dynamic. After multiple tries from the dealer to sort this out I lost total confidence in the system-- driving in the snow when you discover the front end is 'floating' with 7 in the truck-- you get the image (and I am from VT and understand snow driving). So Toyota offered me a new 2005 and again the sensor issues persisted. It is not a comforting experience to drive on the Autobahn or Autostrada when the front end is 'floating' and add some rain! I ended up ripping out the AHC and going old-school with OME all the way around and NEVER LOOKED back. Sure it is a harder suspension, yes there is a rake and when at times it would be convenient to drop the truck (like entering a parking garage), I have zero confidence in AHC but understand I might just be 'that guy' who had bad luck not once but in 2 new trucks! I think there is some speculation that perhaps the sensors and road salt are not a good combo but again, this is only speculation. My experience with 30+ years of L/C (FJ40; FJ80; and HDJ100s)-- mechanically bombproof but the later generations electronics are letting Toyota down....now I have a VGRS issue....sure we all know s__t happens, but I understand now why in Africa they drive ONLY the most basic models, no turbo, manuals, and keeping is as simple as possible....makes sense to me, but what do I know....only my 2 cents worth...I drive the HDJ100 now confidently knowing the suspension is reliable and won't let me down but yes a bit hard.

From all I've read about AHC, you're in the minority as far as problems with the system. Having 7 people in the truck? That's another discussion. As @suprarx7nut says, you're at the limits of the system.

Having come from a lifted and triple locked 80, it's no wonder why I love AHC. My 80 was great off road, but I hated the way it rode everywhere else. The comfort to sport adjustability is FANTASTIC! I use it all the time. It is very noticeable to me where the settings have their advantages. I do the same as others in that I'm in sport 2 on the paved twisties and comfort 1 when cruising on the interstate and rough dirt roads. I'll add then when towing, being able to put the system in sport 1 helps the ride immensely from comfort 2. Yeah, AHC might not be "of the soul of a Land Cruiser", but everything else is still Land Cruiser to me in that it's still overbuilt and capable. In fact, whenever I go to a 200, I'll get an LX(I've only owned Cruisers) because of AHC, despite how cool I think KDSS is.

7 people were 5 'kids' and 2 adults. I take the point things might have improved or it was misunderstood-- but once, twice bitten, no more 'risk' for me and OME works flawlessly albeit a bit harder and a rake so it can get 'loaded'. Having a L/C that can't be loaded (especially the HDJ100 with the stump pulling turbo diesel seems silly--IMHO). I now load it but understand the vehicle dynamics when loaded and take it easy. My VGRS Acutuator just failed and can't believe my 'luck' when compared with my FJ80 (owned from new since 1997) that is bombproof except for the poor MPG-- but can't blame the L/C on that...oh well, live and learn.

7 people were 5 'kids' and 2 adults. I take the point things might have improved or it was misunderstood-- but once, twice bitten, no more 'risk' for me and OME works flawlessly albeit a bit harder and a rake so it can get 'loaded'. Having a L/C that can't be loaded (especially the HDJ100 with the stump pulling turbo diesel seems silly--IMHO). I now load it but understand the vehicle dynamics when loaded and take it easy. My VGRS Acutuator just failed and can't believe my 'luck' when compared with my FJ80 (owned from new since 1997) that is bombproof except for the poor MPG-- but can't blame the L/C on that...oh well, live and learn.
Less parts and tech, the more failure proof a thing can be. A bicycle is less susceptible to failure than a motorcycle. The Amish have a lot less in automobile repairs than most of us. Shoot we can logic this to death until we are all back walking around on our own two feet, but none of us would like that very much.

While I havent had my LX long it is 20 years old and original. I have complete dealer records and do not see any replacement parts on suspension. I have already loaded it multiple times for trips. 6 people, some gear and pulling a 4500# boat. System handled it great, better than my surburban with a higher tow rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom