AHC … Hydraulic vs Static - opinions appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ahc on the 100, and most other 4 point adaptive systems, lower the vehicles several inches at freeway speeds, slightly improving the aero profile.
Nope. A myth of AHC.

Show me empirical data and proof our 100s do this.

Ahc on the 100, and most other 4 point adaptive systems, lower the vehicles several inches at freeway speeds, slightly improving the aero profile.

On the Lexus LS400 height control, that I had, this (lowering at speed) is correct.

On the Lexus LX470, I’ve never seen any documents from Lexus (or Toyota) that describe this behavior, nor have I observed this behavior on any that I’ve owned.

If you're always sitting with a 2" lift, there's going to be an aerodynamic drag penalty, mostly at highway speeds.
AHC allows you to be higher when you want, lower when you don't.
Go try lowering an AHC 100 series at highway speeds and come back here and tell us how that worked out.

No need to lower it, N height is lower than any of the aftermarket suspensions out there.

They certainly beg to differ.

7BE208F5-EB1B-40D9-9A36-EEBDBEB7FDC6.jpeg

Yep I pull into the parking lot to meet up with the group and my truck is the lowest one there. Then at the trailhead in H mode my truck is the highest one there. Everyone asks what lift I have :)

No diff drop, happy CVs, AHC rules. Also on rough roads you can run in N and have more suspension travel then go back to H for the rock gardens etc.

Yep I pull into the parking lot to meet up with the group and my truck is the lowest one there. Then at the trailhead in H mode my truck is the highest one there. Everyone asks what lift I have :)

No diff drop, happy CVs, AHC rules. Also on rough roads you can run in N and have more suspension travel then go back to H for the rock gardens etc.
My first (and the only so far) outing with AHC on trail this week was an eye opener! I have wheeled my older 98 on non-AHC suspension quite a bit. But AHC is at another level of comfort and capability IMO. I was running in H mode most of the time and the front would still retain there full range of travel!! Up travel was definitely limited on my 2.5" lift before.
Also, the truck leveled itself even on very uneven surfaces!
Finally, in N mode on rough forest roads, I could practically fly at 35 mph without any bouncing! My wife commented how bouncy the lifted Wrangler JL was right in front of us at even lower speeds. I would stay back on purpose to create some gap and then gun it to catch up - just so I could enjoy the AHC smoothing out the rough terrain!

VideoCapture_20210905-093045.jpg

My first (and the only so far) outing with AHC on trail this week was an eye opener! I have wheeled my older 98 on non-AHC suspension quite a bit. But AHC is at another level of comfort and capability IMO. I was running in H mode most of the time and the front would still retain there full range of travel!! Up travel was definitely limited on my 2.5" lift before.
Also, the truck leveled itself even on very uneven surfaces!
Finally, in N mode on rough forest roads, I could practically fly at 35 mph without any bouncing! My wife commented how bouncy the lifted Wrangler JL was right in front of us at even lower speeds. I would stay back on purpose to create some gap and then gun it to catch up - just so I could enjoy the AHC smoothing out the rough terrain!

View attachment 2779945

It makes me wonder what other people are feeling when they say a static setup is about as comfy. Our butt dyno's must have very different calibrations because it's a substantial difference to me (and my wife).

Agreed with the N approach. Most my wheeling is in N. Only going up to H for big rocks or obstacles. That comfort goes a long ways on a trail day with the family.

I find that a very easy demonstration of the "comfy variance" is a simple parking lot speed bump when trying to compare static versus AHC.

I find that a very easy demonstration of the "comfy variance" is a simple parking lot speed bump when trying to compare static versus AHC.
Lol! I run in sport mode almost all the time except dirt roads and crappy roads, but whenever there are speed bumps, I immediately reach over and switch the dial to comfort :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom