AHC help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paddo, I finally found the problem it was a bad AHC ECU. I ordered a used one off ebay for $90 and installed it last night. The crazy thing is I never had a trouble code for anything. My rig drives nice and smooth now. I'm going to recheck my pressures again later today and finally start enjoying the truck again. Thank you so much for all your help.

Hi,
Fantastic depth of knowledge on these forums! I’m experiencing similar symptoms to many with my 2000 LX470 — smooth ride on most surfaces but harsh on expansion joints and alligatored asphalt at 5-15mph. I had my dealership tech pull up my neutral pressures.
6.8 front and rear. No error codes anywhere. Globes are tired with 7 ticks from Lo-Hi. Fluid replaced 15,000 miles ago. Shocks seem dry and good. No bounce or porpoise. I haven’t pull or cleaned the height sensors yet.

How did you finally discover the AHC ECU was the culprit? No error codes showing?

Thanks for your insights here. It’s tempting to look for used AHC ECU just to swap it and see.

38E2EBA5-4C4C-4593-B91B-C21EC6684B32.jpeg

Hi,
Fantastic depth of knowledge on these forums! I’m experiencing similar symptoms to many with my 2000 LX470 — smooth ride on most surfaces but harsh on expansion joints and alligatored asphalt at 5-15mph. I had my dealership tech pull up my neutral pressures.
6.8 front and rear. No error codes anywhere. Globes are tired with 7 ticks from Lo-Hi. Fluid replaced 15,000 miles ago. Shocks seem dry and good. No bounce or porpoise. I haven’t pull or cleaned the height sensors yet.

How did you finally discover the AHC ECU was the culprit? No error codes showing?

Thanks for your insights here. It’s tempting to look for used AHC ECU just to swap it and see.

View attachment 2526387
7 gradations is a problem and the answer is a new set of globes. I'm not sure what the OP figured out, but if you have 7 ticks, that's a problem and will lead to exactly what you describe - a lack of shock absorbing, most notably on larger road imperfections.

The manual is very clear on this. 7 gradations = replace all globes.

The globes are the shock absorbers. No gas in the globes = terrible ride quality. They're a normal wear item and need replacement every ~10 years or so.

Last edited:
Definitely going to get fresh globes and install soon. Absolutely. Truck is not bouncy. Beautiful ride over bigger bumps, even some potholes, etc above 30mph. I was surprised the neutral pressures were 6.8 which seems good for weak globes?

Was hoping to also learn what Kalino_74 did to conclude his AHC ECU was the problem after attempting many other troubleshooting solutions.
I’m newer to this forum and need to figure out how to DM him. I figured he might be following the thread. PS I’ve saved YotaMD threads and videos. Awesome stuff. Thank you for all your contributions!

7 gradations is a problem and the answer is a new set of globes. I'm not sure what the OP figured out, but if you have 7 ticks, that's a problem and will lead to exactly what you describe - a lack of shock absorbing, most notably on larger road imperfections.

The manual is very clear on this. 7 gradations = replace all globes.

The globes are the shock absorbers. No gas in the globes = terrible ride quality. They're a normal wear item and need replacement every ~10 years or so.

What are ticks?

Look on the front of the AHC pump reservoir tank exterior and you will see markings where it shows if your AHC fluid level is "high" or "low". You should also see the graduation "tick" marks that are used to determine globe health running vertically up the reservoir tank surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom