AHC Fluid Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak in the AHC line that has completely emptied the reservoir. The leak is from a joint (hard line to rubber line) and is located inwards and above the frame near the rear passenger side LCA. Are these OEM lines still available from a dealer? Or should I keep looking for someone that is parting a truck? I did reach out to another member here on MUD that I am waiting for a final response from. But, in the meantime, I have already purchased a set of LC TBs and Springs that should be here in a couple of days. Also ordered new OEM shocks and hardware from McGeorge that I hope should come in before this weekend as well. Ideally, I would like to retain the AHC system if at all possible. But this is my DD and I need to get it back on the road soon.

Has anybody fabricated these lines using parts from local box stores? What kind of pressures are in these rubber lines?

PFA.
i-62BTtfw-X3.jpg

i-F8WmDrg-X3.jpg

Last edited:
How much rust is on your rig? I haven't seen this type of leak on very many rigs outside of the rust belt.

You can probably have a line made at a local hydraulic or pneumatic line shop. They will probably want yours as a reference and or for any useable parts.

You can also check out partsouq.com by plugging in your VIN # and see what is available, otherwise, here on MUD, craigslist, or ebay are probably going to be your best options.

How much rust is on your rig? I haven't seen this type of leak on very many rigs outside of the rust belt.

You can probably have a line made at a local hydraulic or pneumatic line shop. They will probably want yours as a reference and or for any useable parts.

You can also check out partsouq.com by plugging in your VIN # and see what is available, otherwise, here on MUD, craigslist, or ebay are probably going to be your best options.

Thanks for these pointers.

There is mostly surface rust. The worst of it is the powder coating peeling off in many places. I have a strong feeling that the rubber o-rings in the fitting have gone bad. There is one set of lines for sale on MUD that I am chatting with the seller about. Waiting on him for a final price. That set would be coming from AZ, and so, should be rust free. This short video clip might give an idea.

I have a leak in the AHC line that has completely emptied the reservoir. The leak is from a joint (hard line to rubber line) and is located inwards and above the frame near the rear passenger side LCA. Are these OEM lines still available from a dealer? Or should I keep looking for someone that is parting a truck? I did reach out to another member here on MUD that I am waiting for a final response from. But, in the meantime, I have already purchased a set of LC TBs and Springs that should be here in a couple of days. Also ordered new OEM shocks and hardware from McGeorge that I hope should come in before this weekend as well. Ideally, I would like to retain the AHC system if at all possible. But this is my DD and I need to get it back on the road soon.

Has anybody fabricated these lines using parts from local box stores? What kind of pressures are in these rubber lines?

PFA.
i-62BTtfw-X3.jpg

i-F8WmDrg-X3.jpg
Mine did that a couple of years ago my mechanic had a new flexible hose put in . He cut metal pipe and used a sort of compression fittings they are supplied by Pirtek in uk and the pressure they can handle way exceeds the specs.

I think this happened to my truck last night but haven't had the chance to get under there and verify yet. Anyone know a mechanic in the Maryland area that will actually repair this? I called a Toyota shop I have had good experiences with and he immediately suggested replacing with traditional shocks... It sounds simple enough to replace a hose, although I would imagine you would do a flush after and I would need to get Techstream set up.

I think this happened to my truck last night but haven't had the chance to get under there and verify yet. Anyone know a mechanic in the Maryland area that will actually repair this? I called a Toyota shop I have had good experiences with and he immediately suggested replacing with traditional shocks... It sounds simple enough to replace a hose, although I would imagine you would do a flush after and I would need to get Techstream set up.

Replacing with traditional suspension components is usually the easy route for most shops - Independent/dealerships - as this is the most economical method. I would suggest that you identify the source of the leak. Since you say that your truck may have a leak already, what are the symptoms that you are noticing? Note that the hydraulic system has a combination of metal pipes and rubber hoses. Depending on the location of the leak and the reason for leak, you can make the call whether or not to just replace a hose/pipe or the whole system. Replacing a pipe/hose may not be a simple task either as they are located mostly in very hard to reach areas of the undercarriage.

Dealers are notorious for having no idea how the system works let alone how to even start trying to fix it. Yes even a simple hose. Or a bleed. Or globe change, etc... Some of the hoses are more painful than others as they lie along the frame/body and aren't ready to get in and out so this isn't too say your repair will be easy, just that the dealer is unlikely to be your best source of advice.

If you know what you're doing, there's not much in the system that's hard enough to replace to warrant a conventional downgrade, but if you don't know the system the simplest little thing could derail the entire job. This leads to most dealers quoting outrageous repair bills and suggesting the conventional conversion which they can get most any tech to do at any time.

I still need to get under there and do a real inspection, but basically it looks almost identical to the OP's pictures. Leaked out a ton of fluid in pretty much the exact same location and the rear is way low now. Of course, it could be running down from who knows where and just happens to be dripping to the ground at that spot. I'm pretty new to working on these trucks as I've only had mine for a bit less than a year and would consider myself an experienced beginner in terms of automotive repair. I have done a coilover swap on a previous car but never worked on a hydraulic or electronically controlled system like AHC. That being said it isn't a daily so I have time.

I guess there really isn't anything to say until I have time to get under there and inspect. Hopefully I will have time this weekend. The OME suspension seems like a great kit, but it seems like a waste to ditch AHC over a rusty hose....if it is indeed just one rusty hose.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom