AHC delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to say that the AHC is a good system that lasted 240 miles. The jarring ride points to failing globes and sometimes the car settles down quite quickly causing the pump to level the car more often than before. Feels like it's time to move to conventional suspension set up. I will miss the AHC!

For springs, I will be going with OME 2860 rear and OME torsion bar. I call ARB's tech line asking about using 2865 as recommended by a few reputable shop, but all they can reference is 2860 on their fitment guide. Guess I was expecting a more technical explanation from tech line?? The spec sheet also show 2860 having different height for left and right with 2865 shows the same height and I presume would require a spacer?

For shocks, I will be going with Toyota OEM. It seems this is the most comfortable from other's review and I can always go with something else when they are done.

I measured the ride height from fender to hub and it shows 21.5" in rear and 20" in front and I want minimal lift in the front and back.

I have a few questions about this.

Assuming the rear will have 2.5" lift and the front will have a 1" lift; Should I get a diff drop? Can the torsion bar be adjusted to have less lift?

I will be taking this to a shop for the work and the quotes from different shops for the suspension conversion has been quite consistent between 4 to 5 hours, but the quote for AHC components removal ranges from 2 hours to 4 hours with some shops insisting that this is a must do to prevent leakage while others are quoting this as optional. Assuming that the system will be bled dry prior to AHC struts removal, do I really need to remove all the AHC components?

Also, are there any bushings that I should be replacing while i'm there anyway?

Any input will be appreciated. Many thanks.

AHC delete I think needs to be a stickied topic. Or at least in the FAQ.

You should start looking at torsion bars. AHC delete isn't just new shocks and new rear springs.

Also, your measurements are most likely in AHC high or your sensors are messed up.

4-5 hours for a full AHC delete is a damn bargain.

I can bet it will be far cheaper and less labourous to get new AHC globes and refresh your AHC, especially for Canada.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Yes, I do have OME torsion bars on the way.

What should the stock height be? I thought I read somewhere that it should be 19.5 and 21 for front and rear, so I thought mine is somewhat inline with a half inch difference?

Yes, the AHC system is very good and I will miss it. Having said that, I've decided that replacing the globes at $380 each with the whirring sound that I hear every now and then as well as signs of fluid leak in one of the rear strut, it would be a bit of an unknown at 240k miles.

Switching to conventional suspension is about $700 in parts and I wouldn't have to worry about anything other than replacing shocks every few years at $200 in parts. So I am sacrificing ride quality for ease of future maintenance.

My question is still.

Do I need a diff drop if the front is only lifted by 1" via the OME torsion bar? Can I lift less than 1" with the OME torsion bar; any negative consequences of less than 1" lift?

Do I need to have all the AHC equipment removed assuming the system is already empty so there should be no fluid leak issue? Any other reason I should remove the old AHC components?

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Yes, I do have OME torsion bars on the way.

What should the stock height be? I thought I read somewhere that it should be 19.5 and 21 for front and rear, so I thought mine is somewhat inline with a half inch difference?

Yes, the AHC system is very good and I will miss it. Having said that, I've decided that replacing the globes at $380 each with the whirring sound that I hear every now and then as well as signs of fluid leak in one of the rear strut, it would be a bit of an unknown at 240k miles.

Switching to conventional suspension is about $700 in parts and I wouldn't have to worry about anything other than replacing shocks every few years at $200 in parts. So I am sacrificing ride quality for ease of future maintenance.

My question is still.

Do I need a diff drop if the front is only lifted by 1" via the OME torsion bar? Can I lift less than 1" with the OME torsion bar; any negative consequences of less than 1" lift?

Do I need to have all the AHC equipment removed assuming the system is already empty so there should be no fluid leak issue? Any other reason I should remove the old AHC components?
Diff drop helps with longevity on any lift. 1" is a grey area, IMO. Not a huge deal, but if you're downgrading suspension in the name of reliability and ease of maintenance I would absolutely install a diff drop with a lift.

Those OME bars are a higher spring rate than factory. Hopefully you have a front steel bumper to weigh the front down and make up for that. If not, those are going to be a bit too much spring.

I would remove every component you can that's in good shape. There's a significant market for good condition AHC components.

Have you done any of the AHC tests or maintenance? How many gradations do you have? Pressures? Sure you're not amputating an arm over a sprained finger?

I have done 3 flushes in the last 3 years since I owned it. The first flush 3 years ago came out like a black emulsion... did a second follow up flush and fluid was like a pink milkshake. Third flush six months ago and fluid was again dark, foamy, but no milkshake.

The last I checked the graduation, they were at about 7.5 iirc. I remember that it was on the high side, but still ok?

I measured the pressure a couple weeks ago and they were at 6.6 FR and 6.9 RR after a L to N raise. Seems to be inline? I did crank my torsion bar a bit to lower the front pressure. I think it was at 7 before.

The only symptoms I have is jarring ride, C1751 code and leaky rear strut.

I agree that it might be just a sprained finger, but I look at it as replacing my arm with a strong 19 year old!

I would be looking to remove and sell my AHC parts to recoup some of my suspension costs, but just wondering if it would be worth the extra 2 to 5 hours as quoted. or perhaps its something I can do as someone needs the part.

776D3322-DB6A-4B18-80E5-24464E3E9A44.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom