AHC - Airbags or Springs for Towing AND Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone,

Been reading a lot of threads about airbags vs. King springs to assist the AHC in towing. I've begun towing more often and the other weekend I encountered the rear dropping to low for the first time. AHC pressures are in spec day to day but seems the system needs a little help towing heavier loads. I've been debating between King springs or going with a Firestone airbag kit to assist in towing.

My question is, has anyone gone off-road with the airbags? Do they inhibit off-road capability? I like that the airbags are able to be tuned to different pressures for different towing scenarios but I like hitting some trails also and worry the airbags will keep the spring from fully compressing and limit articulation. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Airbags are very progressive in rate which makes them good for towing but generally not ideal off-road. As with anything, it depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

I'm very happy with my Air Lift 1000 bags: https://amzn.to/2XjX84G

I tow a lot and load my truck with lots of payload and the bags work just as advertised. One benefit of bags over heavier springs is that you can adjust them and dial them in to the load and conditions. If you are on the trail and need to increase your load capacity or increase your suspension travel it's just a matter of adding or removing a few PSI from the bags.

I don't think they inhibit travel much if at all. Make up your mind here is my truck flexing out with 5psi in the bags and carrying a moderate to light load.

hunnw1E.jpg

zPxPMls.jpg

I'm very happy with my Air Lift 1000 bags: Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 60728 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit: Automotive

I tow a lot and load my truck with lots of payload and the bags work just as advertised. One benefit of bags over heavier springs is that you can adjust them and dial them in to the load and conditions. If you are on the trail and need to increase your load capacity or increase your suspension travel it's just a matter of adding or removing a few PSI from the bags.

I don't think they inhibit travel much if at all. Make up your mind here is my truck flexing out with 5psi in the bags and carrying a moderate to light load.

Thanks! This is what I was hoping to hear/see. Did you have to drill to fit those bags? I know the Firestone bags are no-drill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom