AGM batteries drop-in replacement for N70ZZL lead-acid ones ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone fitted AGM batteries in place of std lead-acid type in their 80?

If so, who might now what the closest equivalent(s) in terms of size and terminal config to N70ZZL are available?

I'm aware of Odyssey and Northstar as well-regarded brands of AGM battery particular in the USA.

I know there's Optima, but I don't know if there's anything in Optima's range that's a direct size/terminal equivalent to N70ZZL.

I use N70ZZL both both main and aux batteries in my 80 and the current pair of Century's have been in for over 2 years. Still working ok, but recently I re-watered both and since then I've had problems with them gassing too much resulting in acid/water coming out the breathers for most of the cells.

Ages back I thought about Odyssey's batteries since I've used them in cars, but didn't find any Odyssey product that was a close drop-in replacement for N70ZZL.

Craig.

in the US, Optima has a group 27F yellow top available.

After seeing that Sears no longer carries the DH Platinum, I put an AutoCraft Platinum AGM in. AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 24F, 710 CCA 24F-AGM: Advance Auto Parts

No complaints, no acid. I have only had it in for 7-8 months so no reports from me on longevity. I had found some good reviews online and it hits a good price point compared to the Odysseys. (I've had one Odyssey fail spectacularly, but it was in my motorcycle.)

Optima D31A and D31M have both worked great for me. They fit. Barely.

Ta people here in Oz have used Optima D27 size too - Century Batteries (which manufactures N70ZZL 4wd lead-acid batteries here in Australia) is the importer/distributor for Optima.

As for the Odyssey's, I was hoping that the PC1700 would fit. It's a good match width and height wise, but too wide to locate in the footprint of the factory battery trays to allow any room at all down the sides for fitting the j-bar battery clamps.

Shame Enersys doesn't make a PC1600 or PC1650 metal jacket battery the same width/height as the PC1700 (same as N70zz/n70zzl width/height basically) and also the same length.

The charge density of Odyssey's batteries would be much higher than Optima's IMHO because the Optima's do not all their volume.

I tried charging my aux Century N70ZZL batt out of the 80 today while I worked on other stuff and it outgassed noticabled and bubbled electrolyte out the vent holes of several cells. seems to be holding charge but the battery bar was all furry from acid attack.

I made a new thread about this, because I didn't see this one. It said:

I picked up one of these. There's a 15% discount with code PEP15BATT if you order through their website and pick up at the store. $175 after core and Wheat Ridge, CO taxes. 4 year replacement warranty.

Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group Size 24F | Product Details | Pep Boys

I plan on putting it in today. It looks the same so I don't see any problems arising.

Apparently Northstar's NSB-AGM27F is supposed to be the same dimensions as the N70ZZL size. If you're one of those people who has the opposite terminal config for your aux battery, there is a reversed terminal config version of the Northstar battery too - NSB-AGM27M.

The Optima's are not a good size match IMHO to the standard battery sizing.

No Odyssey batteries are a spot-on equivalent for the N70ZZ/N70ZZL sizing.

Has anyone fitted AGM batteries in place of std lead-acid type in their 80?

If so, who might now what the closest equivalent(s) in terms of size and terminal config to N70ZZL are available?

I'm aware of Odyssey and Northstar as well-regarded brands of AGM battery particular in the USA.

I know there's Optima, but I don't know if there's anything in Optima's range that's a direct size/terminal equivalent to N70ZZL.

I use N70ZZL both both main and aux batteries in my 80 and the current pair of Century's have been in for over 2 years. Still working ok, but recently I re-watered both and since then I've had problems with them gassing too much resulting in acid/water coming out the breathers for most of the cells.

Ages back I thought about Odyssey's batteries since I've used them in cars, but didn't find any Odyssey product that was a close drop-in replacement for N70ZZL.

Craig.
If you are having gassing problems then you are overcharging or you added to much water. Switching to AGM will not help as overcharging will kill an AGM faster than standard flooded lead acid. Switching from flooded lead acid to AGM in an 80 is a downgrade. Odyssey makes great batteries while Optima makes garbage.

Have you checked your alternator output? Make sure the voltage isn't too high.

Why are AGM's a downgrade? I agree that Odyssey stuff is good, but no Odyssey battery is a drop-in replacement for N70ZZL or N70ZZ. No Optima battery is either. The Northstar ones supposedly are, but I haven't ever seen a Northstar battery in person to compare.

Alt output is fine.

AGM are more prone to damage from overcharge than flooded. Vehicles do not have any voltage limiter for the battery. Once a lead acid battery is fully charged venting will occur above float voltages. If you use any type of battery maintainer or solar setup you will keep the battery topped off. Once you start driving the output of the alternator will go above the float voltage and start venting. AGM batteries are all sealed and cannot have the water replenished. Flooded allows for replenishing and will not suffer long term damage.

I swapped my pair of conventional Century N70ZZL's around recently when I replaced the radiator and had to take both batteries and trays out anyway. I've found that the alternator output has dropped off a bit though it seems tovbe brushpack related so replacing that very soon.

The Northstar battery I've mentioned is quite pricey though it's specs say it will cope fine with elevated temps. It's a shame Odyssey does not make a direct N70ZZL replacement. I will never, ever, use an Optima spiral-wound battery as they're a horrible mis-use of space IMHO.

I recently dropped in a Group 27F, X2 Power AGM deep cycle. Its a close but great fit and appears to be worth the extra cost over the 27F Yellow Top I replaced. Though I did get 5 years out of the Optima Yellow, so I was quite satisfied to say the least with that. The X2 Power product is also made in the US.

I have the DH AGM. It didn't fit at first but someone told me to take the plastic bezel that covered the top of the battery for shipping and snap it to the bottom of the battery for a base..now it fits like a glove...who knew?

If you are having gassing problems then you are overcharging or you added to much water. Switching to AGM will not help as overcharging will kill an AGM faster than standard flooded lead acid. Switching from flooded lead acid to AGM in an 80 is a downgrade. Odyssey makes great batteries while Optima makes garbage.

Have you checked your alternator output? Make sure the voltage isn't too high.

Agree that Optima's aren't great. One thing I never realised but it's probably a newbie-type thing is that the little 'ball' indicator in most modern lead-acid wet cell batteries only shows the state of one cell, so the others could be up the preverbial. Odyssey still do not have any battery in their product line that is a direct size replacement for N70ZZ/N70ZZL.

Measured my two 4 yr old Century N70ZZL's today and the main one sits at about 12.2 v, and the aux one at about 12.1 v. Even when I've been on a long drive, the main batt never sits higher than 12.3 v. The current alternator (genuine 80 A denso one that was new about 3 yrs ago) is in top condition. I replaced the brushpack and cleaned sliprings quite recently.

When I've been trying to start the engine in cold conditions (below 0 C) I allow the glowplugs to run their full cycle, then crank. The very first rotation of the motor after glowing sounds sick, but once it does that it'll normally fire after 2 or three more rotations

Thinking of fitting a 105 series 120 amp alt but if the batts just aren't up to it they won't convert alt output into chemical energy for storage so the starting behaviour won't improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom