Aging old original cloth suspended by bent wires roof lining non-sunroof base model 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has original cloth suspended by bent wires roof lining. It's old, not pretty and has minor tears/rips in places. I don't now if or how I'd ever replace it. But curious to know if anyone has ever tackled interior roof lining?

I haven't attempted to try sourcing a replacement to see if Toyota would even stock it now.

My 80 also has no sunroof/moonroof.

I haven't seen any for sale, but you're looking at removing rear quarter windows and front wind shield. It's not too intricate a shape to have an upholsterer replicate it, but you'd be paying more than it's worth, really. Around 6 minutes in you'll see an install, but looks custom made.

Rip out all of the material, throw some of this in. Not as pretty but way more functional.

I'm super interested in the roof liner question. This video is a cool install of a tailgate hatch. Is it possibly a different video you meant to post @Gerry McGerry ?

Never done it myself but if you can find the one piece headliner from a later model at a salvage yard that apparently can be substituted for the cloth version but the cost for that might be the same as having an auto upholstery shop redo the original cloth headliner?? And then again, something that's been sitting in the weather in a salvage yard won't be in good shape so you'd likely be back to the same spot as the one piece headliner fabric may need to be replaced also.

FWIW

Never done it myself but if you can find the one piece headliner from a later model at a salvage yard that apparently can be substituted for the cloth version but the cost for that might be the same as having an auto upholstery shop redo the original cloth headliner?? And then again, something that's been sitting in the weather in a salvage yard won't be in good shape so you'd likely be back to the same spot as the one piece headliner fabric may need to be replaced also.

FWIW

This would be a good option IMO, if you can find a good one.

My work hack had all the form backing disintegrate on a molded roof lining. I stripped it all off, pressure washed the foam and glue residue off the molded liner, painted it with a few coats of matching house paint.

Looks suprisingly good. And would do it again if the material was similar.
A third coat would have made it Mickey Mouse, but for a work hack this was good enough with two coats.

Don't seem to have a pic of it finished

PXL_20221130_064236970.jpg
PXL_20221130_062409514.jpg

The cloth wire units are incredibly difficult to remove in one piece, especially given their age, so used ones will be difficult or impossible to find. I have no clue if they're still available from the dealership. The glue they use to adhere them to the roof, windshield surround, and rear, makes them very prone to tearing.

The later FZJ80s do have the one piece unit, however, I have not seen one without the sunroof cutout. Not saying they're not out there. Just very difficult to find. The other thing is the plastic molding on the newer models differs slightly from the FJ80s, where the plastic meets the headliner. There's a couple inch gap, if memory serves.

I would suggest checking into an upholstery shop to see if they can make a new headliner, using the wires. I was going to replace mine by sewing a new liner, but ended up finding a later model one piece for cheap.

Sound deadener has been done before. Usually in the later model one piece units, since they're easier to drop down. There's several threads on roof deadener. Noico, dynamite, and others are readily available options.

Food for thought on roof deadener, is the adhesive. Many will delaminate due to the heat from the vehicle parked, sitting in the sun. Research high-heat adhesive, that doesn't off-gas, for the roof.

I'm super interested in the roof liner question. This video is a cool install of a tailgate hatch. Is it possibly a different video you meant to post @Gerry McGerry ?
Video seems to be the right one for me, 5:48 - 6:12.

There are loads of really in depth videos on headliner installs in old VW beetles, similar install procedure.

The later FZJ80s do have the one piece unit, however, I have not seen one without the sunroof cutout.
99% of Australian cruisers didn't have the sunroof cut out, sunrk won't have a problem finding one. Finding a clean one though....

I think you can switch to the newer roof liner like in the newer troop carrier 79 series from the suspended cloth type liner if that's what you want to do.
The suspended cloth helps to hide wiring tho.

Food for thought on roof deadener, is the adhesive. Many will delaminate due to the heat from the vehicle parked, sitting in the sun. Research high-heat adhesive, that doesn't off-gas, for the roof.

Dynamat, then closed cell foam, glued in with polyurethane/Sikaflex.
Both stick like shít to a blanket

Upholstery shop can easily enough replicate an existing fabric head liner. Important thing is to keep it intact as much s possible so they have a template. And DON'T LOSE ANY BOWS 🤣

Cost of a bespoke replacement in Aus would hurt the wallet a bit. No idea if a matching fabric would be available.

Not sure if these are legit (and they certainly aren't cheap), but I found a few sites like this:

Video seems to be the right one for me, 5:48 - 6:12.

There are loads of really in depth videos on headliner installs in old VW beetles, similar install procedure.

99% of Australian cruisers didn't have the sunroof cut out, sunrk won't have a problem finding one. Finding a clean one though....
Thanks. I must've been doing something wrong before. It works now. Somehow originally I got a video of an 80 series rear hatch storage install.

I deleted my sunroof last year and modified a late headliner to work. It was a huge pain in the ass but it turned out ok. I was able to find a complete interior from a wrecked 95. You need all of the trim pieces we don’t have in the early trucks. There was a lot of trial and error. If I were to do it again I’d take to an upholstery shop.

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

I deleted my sunroof last year and modified a late headliner to work. It was a huge pain in the ass but it turned out ok. I was able to find a complete interior from a wrecked 95. You need all of the trim pieces we don’t have in the early trucks. There was a lot of trial and error. If I were to do it again I’d take to an upholstery shop.
Looks awesome, well done. Outside of the sunroof delete, what else was a pain in the ass? Love the black vinyl and door cards

Do the pillar trims all bolt up easily? I've got rear AC, only leaves one bow to worry about sewing in. If the A/B/C/D pillar trims can go in, making that headliner wouldn't be impossible.

@Gerry McGerry Thanks, I cut the door cards out of abs plastic and they are a big improvement over the old cardboard ones. The pillar trim pieces are the correct size but my truck didn’t have the holes for the clips so on the A pillars I cut the clips off and used the grab bar to secure them. The B and C pillars I drilled out holes for the clips. I think the D pillar fit without modifying. The one piece headliner it’s self wasn’t hard to fit but I didn’t want the sunroof bump in the front. I ended up making it two pieces so it would sit tightish against the ceiling. It took a lot of head scratching between me and my wife to get it the way we wanted it. It turned out ok for YouTube trained upholstery installers. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom