agent 004runah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well after a prolonged period of time i was able to finally catch up with the very elusive 3.4 5 speed 4runner. i sold the little white truck to force the move. that kinda sucked because it put me in the crawler for daily duties for about 3 weeks. my kidneys were really bitching about the ride.

so after searching high and low and north and south. and reading many many really ridiculous craigslist ads. i happened across an ad posted from subaru in medford. i called and found out that the rig had been wholesaled but i couldnt find the lot. so about 5 days go by and a 97 comes up in gp, i call the guy to check it and hes and idiot so i go home instead. sit down and load up craigs, and heres the runner on the wholesale lot. i was very fidgety all night. i got up early on my day off and took wifey to work so i could be the first guy on the lot in the am. i was there before him so i had to kill time. finally met up with the guy about 830 am, drove it and made a decent deal.

$5500 truck clock was 199 874.

pics

SDC12106.jpg

SDC12109.jpg

SDC12108.jpg

Last edited:
the rig fit pretty much all my criteria. i would have of course liked to have the e-locker, but i have one lying on the shop floor. also i would have like to get leather and a few less miles. the truck is in really nice shape and looks like the oil has at least been changed on a regular basis.

SDC12115.jpg

SDC12116.jpg

SDC12105.jpg

so i got the rig home and pulled a few codes out. the check lamp was burnt out. which is never a good sign. typical PO171 (dirty MAF) some TPS code and a P0330 knock code. i replaced the MIL and cleared codes. kept tripping the knock code. did some homework and decided to check plugs for s***s and giggles.

pulled the boot and saw the end of the plug. designating OG spark plugs at 200k:eek:

did a factory plug and wire jobber. didnt fix the code.

in case you are wondering, the plugs are as they came out. coil side on left, wire side on right.

SDC12085.jpg

SDC12081.jpg

SDC12084.jpg

Last edited:
the knock code says there is no signal coming from #2 knock. so i ultimately have to pull the manifold and replace the knock and the pigtail. in the meantime, thanks to yotatech, i just made a jumper out of a paperclip to trick the ecm into seeing two signals. luckily i can just manipulate the knock jumper right by the front of the manifold. no pics sorry. the job i have to do is covered in the other thread:rolleyes:. so i guess ultimately the previous owner dumped the truck because the shop price to fix the knock sensor code was pushing 800$ or so. they dumped it off for a new scooby doo.

and since i either cant leave well enough alone or i have OCD or i think its really super gay to have something on a rig that serves no real function. i had to mod the scoop, to , well , actually scoop.

it was pretty easy. open hood, remove the 4 nuts, then unscrew the studs from the scoop. then pull the inner hood liner down enough to access the one phillips screw that holds the center front of the scoop down. simple enough.

couple pics

SDC12131.jpg

SDC12134.jpg

SDC12138.jpg

the scoop was made up of three parts.
the body.
the inside black deal. just another bucket inside to look black.
the grille.
the grille and the inner bucket are held in place with a couple rivets.

i cut the body down first, then drilled the rivets.
i cleaned up the cut, resprayed the grile. then used a couple of the rivets from the silver dollar to stick it back together.

SDC12136.jpg

SDC12139.jpg

SDC12142.jpg

Last edited:
and the tires that came off.
the guy goes, the tires are like 40%. . . i just laughed.

the new skins are bridgestone dueler revo-2s in an LT 265/75/16

0331121208a9593339.jpg

Hey, its my twin! I saw this one come up on CL and I was also on sosvm's lot looking at another 4runner when the salesman told me he had a manual trans runner in the back. I love the sport hood and the paint matched bumpers on it. What are your plan? Now that we have the fjc I'm more seriously planning a sas, especially cuz I just discovered a torn boot in the front yesterday. Congrats!

Everyone seems to be gravitating to more comfortable rigs. That looks nice Aric. I'd just like to fix my seat....it's been broken and ripped since I've owned it. My brother warned me cruisers were not for us "poor" folks. :)

F U GNOB :flipoff2:

J/K Nice find. I would have picked that up in a second.

so far it is NOT getting better mileage than white truck. damn it.

my short-medium term plans are

intake
exhaust
elocker
blower

the mpg is really not too much concern i pulled 18 and 16.5 on two tanks.
long warm ups and short trips kill mpg.

i think a new exhaust 2 into 1 then to 2.5" sans cat will wake it up.

the crawler seems quite a bit peppier.

I was talking with a buddy yesterday how the 4runner felt like a dog and he said he put an intake on all his 3.4's and it wakes them up considerably.

i really couldnt see spending $200 for a real "system" when really the only thing different is the silencer piece and the filter.

so i eliminated the silencer with a 5.5" piece of tube.

i dont know about performance, but it seems better. i can hear it gulping air now.
i think i feel some seat of the pants too.
will check MPG again soon.

Aric, why are Ty and Nick hurling insults at you?? :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom