Age old question...rear swing out tire carriers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Soooo, deposit is made. Plane ticket booked and if all goes well, I'll be the new owner of a mud member's well cared for 60. The only thing I was looking to change was the spare mounted inside the cargo area to a swing out tire carrier. It already has a aftermarket rear steel bumper and instead of changing it out, I talked to a couple steel fab shops that felt I should find a rear tire carrier I wanted, and they could modify and attach to the exsisting bumper. Anyone do this? Looks like Jeep has the most swing out options and vary from $139-400.

I'd prefer it to be mounted to passenger side of the rear, I've searched the forums and have come up empty

Any info, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have two little ones and need a place for strollers and diaper bags lol

Is the tire too big to fit under the truck? Or is there an oversized gas tank installed?

Build your own ... that what I did ... that way you get just what you want ... alot of build parts for swing out out there
158.JPG

Factory wheel with 33x12.5

I saw a vendor sell pieces and I just need the raw steel to make it all work, but didn't find any examples of people actually making any.

I have 0 welding skills so it's not a undertaking I'd like to do and mess up a good bumper and truck

image.jpg
Personally I much prefer the spare to be on the drivers side, it creates a blind spot for me when on the pass side , but one argument is that it will open into the traffic lane when stopped in the side of the road if on drivers side . A lot of folks sell a spindle set up, and the framework is easily fabbed

Last edited:
Personally I much prefer the spare to be on the drivers side, it creates a blind spot for me when on the pass side , but on argument is that it will open into the traffic lane when stopped in the side of the road if on drivers side . A lot of folks sell a spindle set up, and the framework is easily fabbed

Valid points, I just didn't want it in the center to block my rear view.

I guess I need to find a different machine shop as they told me why recreate the wheel when there are options out there they can make work

Just keep in mind if its hinged on one side and latched on the other ( tire side) you have a lot of leverage on the spindle when it's opened , or you can do like Dave does on the 4 plus in the above pic, and latch in the center

I saw a vendor sell pieces and I just need the raw steel to make it all work, but didn't find any examples of people actually making any.

I have 0 welding skills so it's not a undertaking I'd like to do and mess up a good bumper and truck

I have a 33" tire on an aftermarket alloy tucked up under the rear using the factory spare tire pulley mount. My clearance is still higher than the axle/diff...

I have a 33" tire on an aftermarket alloy tucked up under the rear using the factory spare tire pulley mount. My clearance is still higher than the axle/diff...

Okay, clarification...I think with the current aftermarket steel bumper does not allow access to undercarriage stow

Okay, clarification...I think with the current aftermarket steel bumper does not allow access to undercarriage stow
Unfortunately, I can't speak to that as I still have original front and rear bumpers. HOWEVER, keeping it underneath is what I hope to be a short term fix. I would go your route, but as with most of us, I'm prioritizing upgrades. I would LOVE a 4Plus or 4x4 Labs swing-out rear, but I don't have $2K to throw at the problem right now.

If you are going to invest in a swing-out rear, I suggest that you do just that: invest in it. Spend what you need to spend for the right bumper and don't settle. I'm waiting until I can do it right; I think it makes a difference. My 2 cents.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to that as I still have original front and rear bumpers. HOWEVER, keeping it underneath is what I hope to be a short term fix. I would go your route, but as with most of us, I'm prioritizing upgrades. I would LOVE a 4Plus or 4x4 Labs swing-out rear, but I don't have $2K to throw at the problem right now.

If you are going to invest in a swing-out rear, I suggest that you do just that: invest in it. Spend what you need to spend for the right bumper and don't settle. I'm waiting until I can do it right; I think it makes a difference. My 2 cents.

It's got a factory front bumper and also coming with a 3 piece armor winch bumper, the rear already has a beefy steel aftermarket bumper, I'm just looking for a way to free up internal cargo space. I just don't want to get something custom done that will potentially destroy the current armor bumper on it

You'll have to see in person when you get it. My rear plate bumper actually appears to give me MORE room underneath the truck. Since I have an ARB compressor under hood for my lockers, I've been thinking of putting an air tank back there too so I can use tools.
For me, my dual swing outs are kinda a pain. Every time I need something out of the back of the truck I have to undo the latch, pull the tire side out, pull the ladder/gas can side out, then open the tailgates.

You'll have to see in person when you get it. My rear plate bumper actually appears to give me MORE room underneath the truck. Since I have an ARB compressor under hood for my lockers, I've been thinking of putting an air tank back there too so I can use tools.
For me, my dual swing outs are kinda a pain. Every time I need something out of the back of the truck I have to undo the latch, pull the tire side out, pull the ladder/gas can side out, then open the tailgates.

This is true. One of the first things my wife has said..."soo, you will have half the amount of cargo space vs your truck and cover for the kids strollers? I thought you said this was practical"

She's been fixated on the big ole tire strapped down in the back cargo area, so I'm just trying to get ahead of the impending storm before I get back with it haha

if you can't weld good...weld a lot...

Unless you plan to wheel hard in rocks and really need the clearance, find a way to fit the spare underneath in the stock location. Swing outs are a pain on a daily driver.

If you do decide on modding your existing bumper, a good fab shop would enjoy building you one. Lots of spindles on the market. Jason with Trail Taylor just added a nice Timken bearing unit to his offerings. Better yet, go visit him and let him built it for you.

I'll agree a swing out on a daily driver is a pain! But, depending on your usage-it maybe worth it. I have one on my truck, and it also has my bike rack on the swing. This makes my life much easier. No more pulling the rack off and putting it back on to get easy access to the back of the 60. They also make great spots for hanging packs/bags when camping getting ready to ride, drying spot for wet clothes. It is worth it to me, but sometimes it certainly can be annoying having to open it up in parking lots.

If you have a sturdy roof rack, you could always throw the spare up top at least as a short term solution until you figure out what you want to do with the bumper. The downside is, that's a big, heavy tire/wheel combo.

If you have a sturdy roof rack, you could always throw the spare up top at least as a short term solution until you figure out what you want to do with the bumper. The downside is, that's a big, heavy tire/wheel combo.

On my 91 4Runner, I had a confer roof rack with spare tire setup and I did not care for it at all. The the extra weight up there while cornering was interesting, and on windy days it was constant swaying

I guess since it's gonna be a daily, I'll have to figure out how to get it underneath. But the swing outs just look so cool on cruisers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom