Again a Mud Tire question ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
If you have choice between this tires (only between this tires !):

BFG Mud

Goodyear MTR

Yokohama Geolandar MT

which will be the best (considering the longevity).

Firestone Destination M/T

:flipoff2:

Tires again?! No, jk

1. BFG 2. Goodyear 3. Yokohama

I've had good personal experience's will all three...although i have to say the geolander's don't last as long as the other two.
BFG and Goodyear seem the same tread wear to me, but i've ran some 33 BFGs down to bald and still had good enough traction!
If you know you'll be in more rocks = wrangler. But if mud/water/slick is your offroad, gotta go with the BFGs. Plus i think they're cheaper anyways!

PErsonally, i dont know why you would even consider these partly bcuz i'm a SWAMPER guy. Trxus Mud/TSL SSR still give you great tread life with the added traction for almost the same $.

Good luck.

Good question. I am about to get new tires myself int he 33x12.5x15 flavor and the BFG MT's are top of my list.

I live in the snow and mud, so MT's would be good, but I also have a lot of rain and drive on the roads as this is sometimes my daily driver.

If my choice is between the BFG MT and AT, which one is more recommended?

ColoradoLC said:
Good question. I am about to get new tires myself int he 33x12.5x15 flavor and the BFG MT's are top of my list.

I live in the snow and mud, so MT's would be good, but I also have a lot of rain and drive on the roads as this is sometimes my daily driver.

I would go with the AT if you do mostly street driving. And the MT if you offroad more especially if you get into mud.

I have a set of the BFG's on now and a set of 33's to go on after my lift gets on. I like them, and think they work well. I just love the tread of the GY MTR's. I think the side walls may be stronger as well??

David*BJ70 said:
If you have choice between this tires (only between this tires !):

BFG Mud

Goodyear MTR

Yokohama Geolandar MT

which will be the best (considering the longevity).
Out of those tires I would go with the BFG and the GY MTR as both neck and neck

no experience with the Yoko.

And I have no experience with Snow traction. I figured you might want to know that as well. For me any tire choice is what I can get for a good price. I have the 2nd set of BFG MT's b/c I got a sweet deal on them.

i'm runnin the bfg's on my 60, 35's
they seem to wear evenly
the 60 is a heavy rig, so they are gonna wear quicker than say if they were on a 40.
i'm about a third of the way through my tread in just less than a year.:eek:

swamper are soft, not a practical dd tire.
you can burn through a set of swampers in just over a year on a dd.
i've seen mtr's go quick also...

I've heard of MTR's lasting 40K + miles. I put maybe 15K miles on the 31 BFG MT's since I bought the truck and they need to be replace. Maybe took 1/3 tread.

1/3=about 15K miles from what I can tell.

Havent heard that MTR's wear bad at all. Known people with them on fulsize trucks as well as jeeps.

ColoradoLC said:

Rule of thumb:

• if you will be spending more time off-roading in mud, muck, etc... then go with MT's. they can be used for a DD, but will make more noise and be less fuel friendly than the AT's

• if you will see more mixed use driving, i.e. highway-to-dirt, and drive a lot in snow, then go with the AT's. AT's tend to perform better in snow, especially deep snow (although I'm sure some will argue to the contrary). AT's do really well off-road too for most situations except for the mucky goo -- that being said, you can always throw on a set of chains when it gets gnarly;p

• decide how you will be using the truck most often and base your decision upon that

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I know with that question I was openning a big box !!

www.1010tires.com compare "best overall" M/T tires like this :

Toyo open con try MT 4.7/5
Firestone destination MT 4.4/5
BFG AT 4.2/5
Bridgestone dueler MT 4.1/5
BFG MT 4.1/5
GY MTR 4/5
Yoko MT 4/5
Yoko AT 4/5

OK anyother opinion will be welcom... but I have my idea by now.

Thank you all

oh ! ... my last tire was BFG Mud and I like them... but I just try to figure if other tires can be better.... ;) I should write this before

Go BFG. I've seen all three and they do best in mud. Yoyomas wear quickly.

swamper bias are soft...as are any bias tire...boggers and the sort wear faster than denim knee pads, but the radials are matched by done. I've had two sets of SSRs, 33s and 37s, on my 62, which weighs now 6000lbs. 15000 miles on 33s, not even half way on tread life. 10000 miles on 37s, bearly showing the quarter wear. TSL radials don't last as long bcuz the tread pattern has larger voids...SSR = Super Swamper Radial. yes, swamper does make radials if anyone was wondering about the validity of this.

My opinion un Mud .. MTR sucks . !!!! my better experience was with General Grabber .. after kuhmo, baja claw, bridgetone dueler ..

General Grabber .. great mud tire ..

I know you speciically asked for a choice from your 3, but I think you do yourself a great disservice by not looking into the Interco TrXus MT.

It's basically a radial Swamper carcas witha chunky MT tread that also has SIPES so you get better snow/rain/ice traction then a conventional MT.

Just my friendly suggestion.

http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php

TRXUS%20MT%20large.jpg

VTCruiser said:
indeed, the interco trxus will be my next tire.
mine are badly out of balance and i can't get em to balance no matter ow many times i take it in.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom