Aftermarket Wiring Harnesses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

amg2y said:
What the different between EZ21 and EZ Mini20 other than the size? Thanks for your info.

I've been told the replacement fuses are more difficult to find in the average auto parts store.

amg2y said:
So would it be easier to yank the old one out first or put the new one paralel then yank it out when done? Thanks guys.

Yank the old one first. The new one will run exactly parallel and there are some places where the wires have a tight fit and pulling the old out after could be problematic.

sorry to disagree. I would not rip any old wire out until you really know which new one replaces it. There are some Toyota-specific connections that would be evry difficult to reconstruct if you rip everything out without first tracing what you got (which can be done in parallel when you install the new harness). There was a thread on this earlier, do a search.

And yes, the minifuses are much more difficult to find; every parts store has some, but usually not all that you would need.

No prob on the disagreement. My 40 had tons of extra wires form PO's putting in and taking things out, most done half-assed. I have not found any complicated connectins, save for the flasher/turn signal confusion. I have a Haynes manual for the 40 and have been able to use the wiring diagram to reconstruct all the connections. I would not undertake this w/o a wiring diagram of the truck. Even if you decide to run boht systems parallel...which I still think is not the best way to go, but this is only my second wiring harness install and my first on a cruiser.

Centech

This is one of the best wiring kits you can buy, thicker wiring than painless, and far better quality. He can make them to any specs you need, as for if you are putting in other electrical stuff in your cruiser or any other rig.
This guy that owns and runs this company, is the one that GM used to design the wiring harness for the TBI when it came out, so if you have a TBI, thank this guy for the wiring.
My kit next to my buddys painless, well he wishes he would of checked around alittle more before he bought his painless.
http://www.centechwire.com/

Went to centech website, I didn't see the kit for LC. Guess that would be special order?? Looked over GM/Ford wiring kit, pretty spendy there. Just curious, how much did you spend for yours?? thanks:cheers:

amg2y said:
Went to centech website, I didn't see the kit for LC. Guess that would be special order?? Looked over GM/Ford wiring kit, pretty spendy there. Just curious, how much did you spend for yours?? thanks:cheers:
I paid $350, but I got some extra stuff with it, like LEDs to put in the dash for my turn, and bright signals.
The basic kit was $250, and that was 3 years ago.
They don`t have a certain one for the LC, because the FJ40 is a basic wiring design, that is if you took all of your old wiring out.
I got the GV-10 for the FJ40.
Just call him, and he will be able to tell you what you need.
Check this page out, then click on the wiring harness at the top for details.
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/off-road/index.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the Centech link, just picked up two sealed Aux fuse blocks from them. Been looking for some casually for awhile, was about to break down and just use some Napa ones.

Nice stuff...

One of the things we specialize in at my shop is redoing the wiring for cruisers. If any of you guys need assisstance give me a shout, We R&R the harness, untape it, repair any wires/connections with solder and shrink wrap, wire in any accessories you want, remove any unwanted wires (egr stuff), wire in factory plugs for V8 conversions, zip tie every 4 inches, then reloom with split loom. Takes me about 2 days of work and I charge 575 dollars if I remove the harness from the truck. Its much less if you send me your harness with instructions.

I prefer doing this for all my cruisers because they retain the factory wire colors and connections. Ive found that Painless is anything but....mating a chevy based system to Toyota systems is NOT fun nor is it Painless. You can check out some of the ones Ive done on the projects page of my website. www.cruiserco.com.
Let me know if I can help anyone out.

Do the EZ 21's have a GM column plug? what about the plug for the instrument cluster? I assume I have to reuse my old one?

EZ has GM column plug, but I spliced into my LC wires. It was a little extra work figuring what need to connect to what, but not too bad. Same with the gauges. I run the stock gaguges, but I replaced the temp gauge w/ a mini one from autometer and the ammeter w/ a mini voltmeter from Autometer. I think that these give more useful info than the stock ones and I made them fit in the the stock instrument cluster. This really is an easy, but tdious job with the EZ harness,
.:beer:

Last edited:
Nope. I did reuse some of the switch and motor plugs (heater, wiper, wipermotor, lights, hazzard, etc. They are just too expensive to buy new ones, and some you can't get new ones. I yanked the entire harness. I fugured I only wanted to go to this trouble once and I wanted to know EVERY INCH of my wiring.

You may want to take a look at this site also. I purchased a gauge set from them for my MG and they look and work great. Here's the gauge site and it has a link to the wiring from there. I think it's the same one that sells on Ebay that thsorens linked.

http://www.tpigauges.com/

andrew.fletcher said:
You may want to take a look at this site also. I purchased a gauge set from them for my MG and they look and work great. Here's the gauge site and it has a link to the wiring from there. I think it's the same one that sells on Ebay that thsorens linked.

http://www.tpigauges.com/

Couldn't find the wiring harness link on that site, but I did get my "Its so Painless" kit in the mail yesterday and WOW! It's really nice! Really good instructions. It also has a GM column plug and a pin out of the GM columns. It also has charging system diagrams for GM, Ford, and Chrysler setups. VERY NICE AND IT WAS ONLY $134.99 with $12.99 shipping!!!! For me, the GM column plug and the detailed instructions sealed the deal!
Check the ebay link I listed in my previous post:bounce: .

Good luck! Take your time. Make sure you measure everythin twice before cutting wire. Don't ask how I know about this.:rolleyes:

Plan on taking 3-4 times a long as you think it will. It's easy, but detailed and tedious. Have fun!

where did you guys locate your fuse panel? On the firewall just to the left of the clutch is what I was thinking. Wire bundle going up from there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom