aftermarket vs oem parts facing extinction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to tear into my 40 which has been in the family for years. I would appreciate feedback on what parts are worth splurging on for oem and what can be done with quality aftermarket without noticable difference in fit, function and appearance vs oem. I am especially curious about this since it appears discontinuation of oem parts is accelerating, i.e. oem fenders ( i scored some of the last ones to be had recently).

I'm mostly curious about interior parts (door panels, window regulator, etc) but welcome all thoughts on exterior, motor and drive line.

Getting ready to tear into my 40 which has been in the family for years. I would appreciate feedback on what parts are worth splurging on for oem and what can be done with quality aftermarket without noticable difference in fit, function and appearance vs oem. I am especially curious about this since it appears discontinuation of oem parts is accelerating, i.e. oem fenders ( i scored some of the last ones to be had recently).

I'm mostly curious about interior parts (door panels, window regulator, etc) but welcome all thoughts on exterior, motor and drive line.

Looking at my list. Umm, 687 parts went into my 77. Le's see here.

If you can get an OEM replacement part, seal, or weather strip, use it.

You can save money on aftermarket stuff, like brake master cylinders. However, be prepared to be changing those parts out every 6 months in a DD vehicle. (I had a checker master cylinder that I could figuratively set my clock by. It would last 6 months, start leaking and then I had to replace it). Spent the money on an OEM master cylinder and it never leaked again. OTOH, I have a checker water pump in my FJ40 which has been in there for 10 years or so.

Some stuff, you can't even get aftermarket for any more, like pistons if you have an F or an earlier 2F with the domed pistons. In that case, you will need to weigh the difference between having custom pistons made or replacing with a later motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom