Aftermarket/upgraded wiring harness (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wiring harness in my '79 is almost non-existed, so I need to find a brand new full harness that can work with the stock Toyota steering column and ignition switch. I see that JT Outfitters has a custom made harness, but I'm not sure if it can work with the FJ40 steering switches. All of the universal harnesses I see online needs a GM column, which I really hate and would sell my truck into pieces rather than using one! .. What are your thoughts?

I had similar harness delima a couple months ago. I chose to repair my harness for the time being and will plan to pull it for rebuild if it becomes problematic. Most of the harness appears to be in good shape. But there was a lot of ugly wires that needed to be replaced. You could have enough to start a harness and use a wording diagram to fill in the blanks.

The universal harness’ are not a bad option. Build around the the accessories you need in a harness and best of all, all the harness is brand new with better quality wire than stock.

Finding stock switches and plugs will become more difficult as time goes on. Find an old harness and rebuild it with wire from @Coolerman. Search his name and many great threads will come up.

ALL options will take considerable time. Enjoy the challenge. Buy nice tools and supplies to make the process quicker, neater and more reliable.

Last edited:
I think I'm with you. I looked at the aftermarket kits, and I think I am going to try to refurbish what I have. The PO did a lot of damage. It's almost like putting a puzzle together. Do you know a good substitute for the horn relay. No way am I going to pay $65 for a $10 part.

I think I'm with you. I looked at the aftermarket kits, and I think I am going to try to refurbish what I have. The PO did a lot of damage. It's almost like putting a puzzle together. Do you know a good substitute for the horn relay. No way am I going to pay $65 for a $10 part.
What year is your 40? City Racer has a relay for the early ones for $27.

I ran a painless 21 circuit in my 40, since the harness was completley hacked and pretty degraded.

Integrating the Toyota to GM is not difficult. The painless has detailed enough instructions, and the FSM has great wiring diagams. The hardest part is the combined hazard/turn signals, since all the power runs through the hazard switch.

I ran all new GM WeatherPack connectors in the harness, and Toyota for the switches.

It may be a worthwhile option for you to look at.

I used a standard 14 circuit Painless harness a couple years ago on my ‘77 and didn’t find it that difficult to incorporate all of the switches and column. With a good wiring diagram ( the one in a Haynes manual was perfect) it was pretty straightforward to solve the subtleties of Toyota’s method. I also was surprised how easy it was to carefully take switches and relays apart to refurbish the internals of those that needed it. I wrapped the whole harness in flex tape for super clean result. I was able to get some minor pieces from Coolerman to adapt a newer/larger FJ62 alternator. Still working good with no issues.

I had similar harness delima a couple months ago. I chose to repair my harness for the time being and will plan to pull it for rebuild if it becomes problematic. Most of the harness appears to be in good shape. But there was a lot of ugly wires that needed to be replaced. You could have enough to start a harness and use a wording diagram to fill in the blanks.

The universal harness’ are not a bad option. Build around the the accessories you need in a harness and best of all, all the harness is brand new with better quality wire than stock.

Finding stock switches and plugs will become more difficult as time goes on. Find an old harness and rebuild it with wire from @Coolerman. Search his name and many great threads will come up.

ALL options will take considerable time. Enjoy the challenge. Buy nice tools and supplies to make the process quicker, neater and more reliable.
I made the same decision and the repair has gone really well. You can find a pdf of the wiring diagram online (coolemans page). I bought 3M super88 tape and new wire loom (more modern woven type loom).

Post a wanted add. I am sure someone has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom