Aftermarket stereo not working - low Tech! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Our 40th anniv 80 came with a very nice Alpine Head unit. The PO used an Ipod with it for the most part. Upon delivery, I was unable to get any sound out of the unit and it's only less than one year old. It seems to be working; ie plays the CD, good radio tuner signal, etc. After pulling the unit out of its home, it looks to be wired properly to the existing oem harness.

All fuses are good that I can see. Is there a fuse somewhere else in the Audio system by any chance?

It's NOT on mute! :flipoff2:

We tried playing a portable cd player through the Aux port and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ok,
A few questions.
1. Is there an aftermarket amp installed to run the speakers? if so there should be a fuse by the battery for the amp. check that.
2. make sure all speakers are in the doors and all wires are hooked up to them. if 1 speaker wire comes off and grounds out it could take out your IC outputs in your deck if it is deck powered, same could happen with an amp also.
3. if there are speakers in all doors, check to make sure none are blown, because they could cause the amp internal or external to short out also.
4. if there is an external aftermarket amp and you have power to the main power wire , make sure you have remote turn on poewr to the amp also and make sure you have a good ground.

I guess first of all i need to know if your system is powered by an external amp or deck power.
hope this helps.

Maybe there is a short in the speaker wiring down stream. Pull it out on a bench and hook a speaker to it. That way you will at least know if the problem is inside the radio or outside

1. NO aftermarket amps. Preamp outputs aren't being used either.
2. all speakers are wired up.
3. none blown.
4. not applicable

Thanks!

trucruiser said:
Ok,
A few questions.
1. Is there an aftermarket amp installed to run the speakers? if so there should be a fuse by the battery for the amp. check that.
2. make sure all speakers are in the doors and all wires are hooked up to them. if 1 speaker wire comes off and grounds out it could take out your IC outputs in your deck if it is deck powered, same could happen with an amp also.
3. if there are speakers in all doors, check to make sure none are blown, because they could cause the amp internal or external to short out also.
4. if there is an external aftermarket amp and you have power to the main power wire , make sure you have remote turn on poewr to the amp also and make sure you have a good ground.

I guess first of all i need to know if your system is powered by an external amp or deck power.
hope this helps.

Romer said:
Maybe there is a short in the speaker wiring down stream. Pull it out on a bench and hook a speaker to it. That way you will at least know if the problem is inside the radio or outside

This is easier said than done. There are somewhere around 25 wires coming out of the back of this thing. If the huge harness isn't already attached to the vehicle's speaker system then perhaps this would be feasible.

Ash I have a spare stock radio chassis and we could plug it in to confirm that the vehicle-side is functioning properly.

D-

For what it is worth, I have an Alpine I put about a year ago...and it sporadically cuts out.....it always has power, the sound just shuts down.

You can shut the truck down for a few minutes, and the sound comes back! It never loses power, just sound.

I have four Eclipse speakers in the doors, and use an Alpine amp mounted in the rear PS storage box to power a sub that's strapped to the floor.

Depending on which Alpine Head Unit you have, (I have a 9833) there is an option to turn the internal Amp off, which cuts power to all of the speakers.

Press the menu button once to get to the menu, then press it to cycle to the setup menu. Press your |<< or >>| buttons to get to 'Power IC' and make sure it is on.

If that doesn't work, or you don't have that option, press the 'reset' button with a paper clip, or pull the negative battery cable or something to set the unit back to factory default settings.

If this doesn't do it, you'll have to pull the unit and do some bench testing, or take it to a shop.

Now that I think about it, in some units (mine included) there are options to internally mute the system in the case of a cell phone call (requires external adapters and such). I know you probably don't have this setup, but it could, by some fluke, be on 'internal mute'.

I'd press that reset button.

cruiserdan said:
Ash I have a spare stock radio chassis and we could plug it in to confirm that the vehicle-side is functioning properly.

D-

Thanks man but you no longer have a connector to plug the head unit into! :D

Ivan80 said:
Now that I think about it, in some units (mine included) there are options to internally mute the system in the case of a cell phone call (requires external adapters and such). I know you probably don't have this setup, but it could, by some fluke, be on 'internal mute'.

I'd press that reset button.

I remember seeing the Power IC option and I wonder if I changed it! When the wife gets home, I'll try your suggestions!

I did the power cycle by removing the fuse already to no avail!

Thanks.

alia176 said:
Thanks man but you no longer have a connector to plug the head unit into! :D

Both sets of connectors?

*** it's ALIVE ****

The stereo is back to being normal. As somone stated previously, the Power IC option was set to OFF and needed to be turned ON!

This is one fancy arse stereo. :D

Thanks for the help.

Case closed. Wife is happy :bounce2:

Ali

In the future - call the Former Owner

Ah, although you are quite the cruiser savy man, you lack the Car Audio experience. My guess would have been that you switch the IC off. In any event, the former owner (know him well - good looking chap) bought the extended warranty and thus the unit is covered until April of 09.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom