Aftermarket Stereo / CB install...couple pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Here is another little pic post on how clean the single din stereo and cobra cb insall is.
P.I.T.A. but now it is done.

Here is how it looks, I know how much you guys like pictures. :D

Used the Metra adapters for toyota and they work like a dream.
Stereo1.jpg
Stereo2.jpg

Very nice, clean install. I think I'll eventually go that way when my oem stereo craps out. Good job though.

LR_RESQ said:
I did the same thing, it wasn't that bad. I used the stock mounting brackets, just slotted some of the holes. I also put the CB on the top because it gave me more room behind the CB for the coax.

I thought about the top mount for the cb but the pioneer just fit way to custom into the factory brackets on the top. I just slid the cb out one notch on the bracket and the coax barely squeezed in there. :D

I got one of steering wheel mounted remotes so I don't have to touch unless I am changing a cd.

Happy so far. I have not eliminated all of the engine noise from the cb but it works okay for the trail and since I am an abalone and scuba diver, I love the weather and tide information on the weather channels.

:beer:

excellent. looks factory

Nice work! That looks great! :cheers:

FloridaFJ80 said:
what type of CB is that???

It is your basic Cobra with 10 weather channels and some sort of noise reduction. I have seen many folks on this board with the same or similar setup. It is perfect for the dash insallation as it is the din stereo size.

18 WX ST II

That is what is printed on the front.

:beer:

Very Nice and Clean! Good work! Welcome to the clean install club! :D

A little trick for installing the CB on the lower portion is to use a 90 degree elbow in the back for the coax? Alvaro taught me that one! :D I got a few extra 90's if anyone needs one (i had to buy a pack of 3 to get one)

I did something similar! I dont care for the BLING factor of the chrome on the alpine but it was the only one avaible with iPod controls and multi line text info that wasnt $500

I love this setup, the head unit running the ipod from the glove box is one of the coolest gadgets i own!

The CB is cool too! :D

alpineipod2.jpg

alpineipod.jpg

alpineipod3.jpg

Last edited:
noah91fj80 said:
does any one know if that will fit the same on a 91 fj80

Yes, i sold my head unit to a guy with a 92 and it bolted right in. Same size and same head unit as the 93

Boston Mangler said:
Just curious what is this greenish light circled in red?

Not a light. It is a pile of wires with a case around them. That green thing is a plastic cover or something. I just pulled all of the old slimy tape off and re-did it. Left that thing there, figured it must have been for something :rolleyes:. The clump of wires has a little clip tab that I taped back on and it clamps onto a plastic tab which is part of the dash down there. Holds it below the ashtray.

Your setup looks slick too, by the way.
My Pioneer has the ipod controls too, but I have to buy the apparatus for tying the unit in. I guess that will come someday. :beer:

Last edited:
Whitey said:
Not a light. It is a pile of wires with a case around them. That green thing is a plastic cover or something. I just pulled all of the old slimy tape off and re-did it. Left that thing there, figured it must have been for something :rolleyes:. The clump of whires has a little clip tab that I taped back on and it camps onto a plastic tab which is part of the dash down there. Holds it below the ashtray.

Whitey said:
Your setup looks slick too, by the way.

Thanks! Alvaro was a big "Online" Help when i did it

Whitey said:
My Pioneer has the ipod controls too, but I have to buy the apparatus for tying the unit in. I guess that will come someday. :beer:

I'll tell ya this much. The apparatus is $100 and i can honestly say, it is one of the coolest things i have done to the truck. I have access to 60gb of music while i am driving and the apparatus also charges the iPod as well! VERY cool and highly recommended mod!

Boston Mangler said:
Thanks! Alvaro was a big "Online" Help when i did it

I'll tell ya this much. The apparatus is $100 and i can honestly say, it is one of the coolest things i have done to the truck. I have access to 60gb of music while i am driving and the apparatus also charges the iPod as well! VERY cool and highly recommended mod!

That is good info, I just got an I-pod mini so I am headed to get the apparatus now. Thanks...

Man, I make a lot of typos...I need to hone my typing skills. :rolleyes:

Whitey said:
That is good info, I just got an I-pod mini so I am headed to get the apparatus now.

Cool, let me know if ya got any questions on the install, its fairly straightforward

noah91fj80 said:
does any one know if that will fit the same on a 91 fj80

Noah,
Yeah, it'll work in a '91. You'll need to use a 90º elbow antenna adaptor thou.

Kevin,
Sorry, just saw you reply about 2 minutes after post of the '91 models.
DSCF0853.jpg

That looks good man, I just installed the same head unit in my 60 about a week ago. Looks sharp!
-Anthony

Boston Magler, nice install!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom