Aftermarket steering wheel on 75 to 78 column? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
Did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Can you or has anyone installed an aftermarket steering wheel on a 75 to 78 FJ40 column. Or to the point, do they make an adaptor for the Toyota column?

Thanks, Matt

Check out Grant bud...they make adapters for a lot of the different wheels in their lineup.

:beer:

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I was looking for.

Would prefer not to change the wheel, but looking for some length. Just bought a 45 lwb and am kinda tall. Little problem with the door, wheel and my leg when I try to clutch.

Thinking an adapter that can ad an inch or so and a 13" or 14" wheel (vs the 16.5 stock one) and a dish of about 3" +......should work?

Thanks, Matt

buckroseau said:
Little problem with the door, wheel and my leg when I try to clutch. Matt
:confused: :confused:

What no crate motor and auto????;)

buckroseau said:
Would prefer not to change the wheel, but looking for some length. Just bought a 45 lwb and am kinda tall. Little problem with the door, wheel and my leg when I try to clutch.

With your fab skills Matt, make the cab an extra cab, or even a four-door...

Anyone have a picture of the white 45 extra cab pickup that was on the cover of Toyota Trails a few years back?

AATLAS1X said:
:confused: :confused:

What no crate motor and auto????;)

Shane,

No crate motor or auto....unless it's Toyota :D

Poser said:
With your fab skills Matt, make the cab an extra cab, or even a four-door...

Anyone have a picture of the white 45 extra cab pickup that was on the cover of Toyota Trails a few years back?

Steve,

Maybe someday, but right now going for that stock thing. Not sure why, just want that? I actually the past few days decided against a saginaw coversion. The thing drives so nice I see no reason to do it? Might go with a mini-truck powersteering set up, but thinking I want to keep the stock column. I think with that adapter, smaller wheel and a little more dish I should have it? I think for the most part....it will be pretty much stock? I'd keep the orginal steering wheel set up....just can't fit in it worth a sh-t.

Maybe crew cab on the next one? ;p

Thanks, Matt

To what end?

You have a 'stock' Land Cruiser....

I really think that you should 'get after' this one some bud.

If I can get iggie to post up a pic of that other truck, I bet it will grow on you. ;)

Poser said:
To what end?

You have a 'stock' Land Cruiser....

I really think that you should 'get after' this one some bud.

If I can get iggie to post up a pic of that other truck, I bet it will grow on you. ;)

Not sure to what end I guess? Just got it in my head that I want a stock lpb? I was also was hoping not to try that hard :D

Get a new frame, blast and paint. No intentions on tearing down the drivetrain, just blast, epoxy prime and paint. The thing works so good, really no reason to. Fix the tub, new box and tailgate, new fenders and clean up the other sheet metal. Interior is fine, just has to be removed for paint and then re-assembled. If I had a frame I honestly think that I could have it pimped out and drving in 3 to 5 months?

But....still would like to see those other pics....you never know ;)

Thanks, Matt

tucker74 said:
I put the stock steering wheel out of a '91-'94 F(Z)J80 in my 40 - easy bolt in swap that gets you a smaller wheel that looks stock ;) I'll try to get you a pic tomorrow -

Tucker

What did you do to make the turn signal cancel work properly?

Hi All:

A buddy of mine with a '79 FJ40 was able to easily swap on a steering wheel from a Toyota SR5 4wd mini-truck. It looks pretty good!

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom