Aftermarket OBD II, CARB Catalytic Converter

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MSGGrunt, Aug 15, 2006.

1. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

I am in the process of replacing my 1997's stock exhaust with a custom 3" stainless steel system. I will be using a Magnaflow polished SS 6" round 3" inlet and outlet muffler and a single new cat to replace the two factory cats.

I have researched Magnaflows web site and I am still unclear what cat I need. I know it will be a 3" in and out.

I see they offer OBD II CARB cats, OBD II, and just universal cats with no mention to either OBD II or CARB. I don't feel I need to spend the added money for the CARB cat but, is there a difference between a OBD II cat and just a universal cat?

2. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

I just got my answer. All Magnaflow cats are OBD II compliant. I went with Magnaflow Stainless Steel 3" inlet 3" outlet cat part number 94009 and a 7" round 3" inlet 3" outlet muffler part number 14719. It cost a very reasonable $128.94 with shipping from performancepeddler.com.

3. 66fj40x2

66fj40x2

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you using the stock routing of the pipe? Good prices .... I've found my '93 need a new exhaust and the MagnaFlow stiff is nice

Does anyone make a kit for the 80's?

4. Slomo

Slomo It's Complicated

The only kit I have seen is a Borla cat back. About $430 depending on where you get it. FYI It routes like factory and exits the rear corner still, in case you plan to wheel it.

5. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

I plan on routing it up over the frame out of harms way. I have the extra room as I just finished installing a 2" body lift. www.performance peddler.com was the best prices I could find and they took the time to discuss and look-up different cats to find just the right one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.