Aftermarket Knock Sensors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure whether I broke this knock sensor somehow getting the intake off, or if the mice that look to have made a home in there chewed up the connector. OE units are about $170 each, and after market like Beck/Arnley are like half that. I'm pretty into keeping with the OE parts, but this one hurts. Any experience with the after market ones? My mouse house
20200806_115832.jpg

Same exact thing happened to my friend's Sequoia

Shoot, not sure of an aftermarket option.

Check RockAuto.com

I check under the engine cover frequently, with a flashlight you can see these mice nest from little openings around the intake. I took a long length of mechanics wire, twisted it up for rigidity and made like a treble hook on the end. Snake it in, twist, grab mouse nest, and pull out.

OEM are ~$97 on PartSouq.com.

Aftermarket units from Advance Auto range from $138-305 depending on manufacturer

Aftermarket units from NAPA range from $129-206 depending on manufacturer

RockAuto has aftermarket units that range from $14-117 depending on manufacturer

OEM are ~$97 on PartSouq.com.

Aftermarket units from Advance Auto range from $138-305 depending on manufacturer

Aftermarket units from NAPA range from $129-206 depending on manufacturer

RockAuto has aftermarket units that range from $14-117 depending on manufacturer

Thanks everyone, good stuff. 94SRUNNER, I hadn't checked PartSouq before, that's an amazing price for the OEM part. My local dealership quoted me $249 for it this morning. Are they pretty quick with shipping?

OEM. Do it right once. You bought an LC for its legendary reliability and durability. Keep it that way.

Thanks everyone, good stuff. 94SRUNNER, I hadn't checked PartSouq before, that's an amazing price for the OEM part. My local dealership quoted me $249 for it this morning. Are they pretty quick with shipping?

Yes. They are quick to ship. Especially considering they are located in the middle east. I usually get my orders in 5-7 days provided they have it in their warehouse.

@EricUT Think of it this way... how much do you want to go back in there and take intake and everything apart again IF the aftermarket fails? OE are pretty darn sure to last quite a bit long and be higher quality than AM. So if you don't want to go in there again anytime soon, or at least take that chance, then I would suggest going OE.

You may want to put a bar of Irish Spring soap in there to prevent them coming back (no, I am not kidding).

This happened to me years ago on a 3UZ. Same thing - mouse house in the V and a chewed knock sensor. At the time I was told by someone wiser than me that the sensor was one of the few things sourced from a Nissan supplier and therefore had a biodegradable cornstarch based insulation that the mice loved. Not sure if that is true.

Regardless - he suggested I fix it, and put a bar of Irish Spring soap in one of those plastic travel clamshells, drill some holes in it, and affix it to the inside of the belly pan 'right where they hop up' to stop them from coming back.

It sounds crazy, but 10 years later, my Aunt has that car with the same bar of soap and no further problems. I see it every time I change her oil.

Last edited:
Irish spring huh? That may be my favorite post of all time...and I'll absolutely try it. Guess it doesn't melt?

Reactions: MJK
Yep. Sounds crazy I know.

For a long time I just left it there assuming that it was doing no harm, but probably no good either. I have since learned that Irish Spring is a key ingredient in some popular 'natural' mouse repellent pouches, as is peppermint oil. So I guess he was right all along.

Mine is just between the front tires (where I assume they hop up), inside the belly pan. I'd keep it away from exhaust manifolds and such, but otherwise it just sits there.

Last edited:
Honda has problems with rodents eating wiring harness. They offer an anti-rodent electrical tape. The tape is difficult to use at best. I've found F4 Silicone tape to work well. I understand the problem is from using soybeans in the wiring insulation material. Rodents attacked the injector harness on our Honda Civic.

1596798047835.png

On my last 5VZFE (Toyota 3.4 V6) refresh, I wrapped the KS harness wiring in F4 Silicone Tape, then wrapped it in flex automotive conduit, then wrapped it again in F4 Silicone tape. This KS harness will outlast the truck. I started using Military spec F4 Silicon tape to rewrap KS harness over a decade ago. No problems since.

1596798373647.png

Do you want me to see if I have this part laying around? It would be from a 2000 stripped LC.

That's such a kind offer, thank you. I actually just went ahead and ordered two new ones last night, my understanding is they've been known to go out in trucks as old as mine. Given the ordeal of getting to them, I decided to just put it in the preventive maintenance column and get it done. Thank you though 👍

FWIW- sometimes its worth inspecting the beck & arnley parts, some are repackaged Denso or Aisin parts. I bought a close out beck & arnley fuel pump from RA as a spare and it turned out to be the OEM made in Japan Aisin pump. (@ $19 lol)

You may want to put a bar of Irish Spring soap in there to prevent them coming back (no, I am not kidding).

It sounds crazy, but 10 years later, my Aunt has that car with the same bar of soap and no further problems. I see it every time I change her oil.

=] I love hearing these remedies. I used to work on lawn mowers, constantly plagued by mice. People would try everything from hot sauce to soap, if it worked it was pure coincidence, I have seen them make nest out of bars of soap and other remedies don't seem to slow them down at all.

Please dont put soap in your engine valley, just check it periodically for mouse nest.

FWIW- sometimes its worth inspecting the beck & arnley parts, some are repackaged Denso or Aisin parts. I bought a close out beck & arnley fuel pump from RA as a spare and it turned out to be the OEM made in Japan Aisin pump. (@ $19 lol)

In those situations I think what might be happening is the Aisin pump failed test criteria set by either Aisin or Toyota, but passed criteria for the aftermarket suppliers. Could be cosmetic criteria, electrical load, mechanical pumping, etc... OR, perhaps the AM supplier doesn't have any criteria set for whatever failed the Toyota standards. Another possibility is that the AM supplier allows rework where Toyota might mandate none. IE If that part fails any test, we do not want that part no matter how easily it can be fixed. So the part being made at Aisin in Japan gets tossed out of the Toyota queue and into the "I'll take whatever you can make" pile.

Just my guess.

There are cases where Toyota partners are part of the Just-In-Time supply (JIT SUPP) manufacturing and supply chain that also redistribute parts they manufacture as their premium brands.

Federal-Mogul (now Tenneco) comes to mind.

Federal-Mogul Motorparts Receives Supplier Award from Toyota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom