aftermarket guages (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I'd like to install a vacuum guage in my 60. I have one in the 40 and the 45 and I depend on them to keep the valves properly adjusted. The question is location.
Right now the prime canditate is next to the fuse panel and dimmer switch, just to the left of the steering column. A little hard to see there, but the clearance doesn't seem to be an issue.

Anyone else done this?

Pics?

If you installed a vacuum gauge, where do you put the sensor in the system, and is it a mechanical or electronic gauge?

:beer:

Actually I am going to install a vacuum/Boost gauge in the 60.

As of yet I have not even considered where to put it. But I was thinking that it would be well placed in the stock location for the Tach. Heck.. The stock tac only goes up to 4K anyway ;)

Hey Mark,

I would just cut a hole above where the hand throttle goes.....worked good for my tranny temp gauge location....here is a pic since they are worth a thousand words :)
seats.jpg

CTiger said:
isnt that where the 4High button is though?

That is correct. Great spot for a gauge too. Yet another reason for me to lose the vacuum actuated shifting on my tcase :D

I didn't mean where to put it in the dash, although that is a great place to put any aftermarket gauges that one might have.

I meant, what wires or hoses would be connected to where on the engine to provide the vacuum measurement? Sorry if it's a dumb question...

I would say try pulling the plastic plug out and see what is behind it....In my 87 it was just open space...Pulled the plug out, took it over to the drill press and using a hole saw cut the hole....Thought it was to easy.... :beer:

GLTHFJ60 said:
I didn't mean where to put it in the dash, although that is a great place to put any aftermarket gauges that one might have.

I meant, what wires or hoses would be connected to where on the engine to provide the vacuum measurement? Sorry if it's a dumb question...

not dumb at all.

All you need is a line run from the manifold to the gauge itself. It is a fairly easy setup.

Ok, but where would be the optimum place to put the line into? Could one splice a vacuum line into an existing one and get the reading that way?

There are multiple holes in the intake manifold.. use one of those.. Most of the vacuum lines do carb vacuum, not manifold vacuum...

I have a pair of Autometer Z-series 2" gauges mounted under the dash, one on either side of the shift lever. One is for oil pressure the other a vac gauge. It's not a bad spot and if adjusted properly can be easily seen, all I have to do is glance down and to the right.

Tim, your spot is exactly opposite of where I was talking about. I've got the same 'dead zone' on mine. Might use that too.

As far as plumbing it in, that's easy. One the backside of the intake manifold is a large vacuum fitting for the brake booster. On the 60's there is a smaller tube that comes off the side of it for one of the vacuum switches. I am going to pull my guage vacuum from there.

Don't try using the three way fitting on the front side of the carb on the manifold. That is a 'filter' and the vacuum readings on it are NOT positive readings of full manifold vacuum.

:)

On an FJ60 there is a nice spot on the A-pillar, right above the dash, between the A-pillar and the gauge cluster. I've seen up to three gauges mounted on there pretty cleanly, even on plain backets (i.e. without a guage pod).

This is an intertesting topic, I'll eventually need to figure out a solution for mounting a boost gauge and a pyrommeter on mine.

Exiled said:
On an FJ60 there is a nice spot on the A-pillar, right above the dash, between the A-pillar and the gauge cluster. I've seen up to three gauges mounted on there pretty cleanly, even on plain backets (i.e. without a guage pod).

This is an intertesting topic, I'll eventually need to figure out a solution for mounting a boost gauge and a pyrommeter on mine.

I looked at that spot too. Much better visibility there, no doubt. Two problems. One, you would have exposed wiring and hoses, or have to build abox to house them. Two, that's already my best spot for my clip on sunglasses. :D

Cool. I think that this mod will make the list for my truck.

I think that the best place would be the empty switch place on a 60. Sure the visability isn't too great, but how often would one look at the gauge? I would'nt think that the vacuum reading would be something that I would check all the time while going down the road. Besides, using that space eliminates the unused space on the dash.

GLTHFJ60 said:
Cool. I think that this mod will make the list for my truck.

I think that the best place would be the empty switch place on a 60. Sure the visability isn't too great, but how often would one look at the gauge? I would'nt think that the vacuum reading would be something that I would check all the time while going down the road. Besides, using that space eliminates the unused space on the dash.

Actually, the vacuum guage is one that you would prolly look at MORE than the gas or oil pressure. You see, manifold vacuum is ALSO a measure of fuel economy! You'd be surprised what going a little lighter on the pedal [higher vacuum] will yield in extra mileage. That is if you care. ;)

65swb45 said:
Actually, the vacuum guage is one that you would prolly look at MORE than the gas or oil pressure. You see, manifold vacuum is ALSO a measure of fuel economy! You'd be surprised what going a little lighter on the pedal [higher vacuum] will yield in extra mileage. That is if you care. ;)
I had a buddy that used to use his vacuum gauge all the time. Going up hills he would put his foot into it then back off until the gauge started to come off zero. Supposedly it gave him back a lot of mileage.

Personaly, I never let mine get in to the Neg section.. it is always on boost ;)

Still got your axle sitting in the garage ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom