Aftermarket gauges, let’s see them (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone fitted aftermarket gauges? I’d like to see where you guys mounted them. I did a search but came up empty. I’d like to precisely monitor coolant temperature. My GEN spec ‘02 LX470 does not support the standard OBD protocol so I have no choice but to install an aftermarket gauge. I’ve tried connecting my Scangauge as well as another OBD scanner and both do not connect. They also reset the zero point calibration which trips the VSC OFF and VSC TRC lights (have to reset using Techstream or the paperclip method). Second reason is my oil pressure gauge is also malfunctioning. Sometimes it’ll drop to the lowest point while idling, sometimes just below the last tick mark. I’m not sure if it’s the sender or the gauge itself. If it’s the cluster itself then I might as well get a more precise oil pressure gauge. So my second question is, anybody know the thread size of the factory oil pressure sender? I’m hoping I could tee off of it. Cheers guys!

8282D503-B78A-4A94-8C7D-5C2C7A1AD29C.jpeg

The backlighting on my cluster doesn’t work even though the actual needles do light up. I haven’t gotten around to fixing it so I added some autometer gauges to compensate. I did oil pressure and water temperature because those are the only two that really matter to me. I plan a dual battery setup in the very near future so I’ll have an aftermarket battery monitor and fuel I just assume I’m always low because as soon as I leave the gas station I’ve already burned up half a tank. 😂

I do use an obdII reader as well and have my phone mounted on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. That tells me rpm, speed (with a 10% adjustment for my tires) and water temp.

One extremely hot day this summer I was idling on the beach with the ac full blast while my wife fed the baby. I didn’t have the app opened on my phone since I was just idling but I happened to look at the temp gauge and saw I was around 210 and rising so I jumped out and popped the hood and it cooled right down. That little gauge may have saved my engine, I don’t know if it would have managed itself in time or not. I’ve never seen my temp go near that high. Either way it was worth every penny that day.

187FC410-4865-4928-90FC-4654BC16862E.jpeg

The backlighting on my cluster doesn’t work even though the actual needles do light up. I haven’t gotten around to fixing it so I added some autometer gauges to compensate. I did oil pressure and water temperature because those are the only two that really matter to me. I plan a dual battery setup in the very near future so I’ll have an aftermarket battery monitor and fuel I just assume I’m always low because as soon as I leave the gas station I’ve already burned up half a tank. 😂

I do use an obdII reader as well and have my phone mounted on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. That tells me rpm, speed (with a 10% adjustment for my tires) and water temp.

One extremely hot day this summer I was idling on the beach with the ac full blast while my wife fed the baby. I didn’t have the app opened on my phone since I was just idling but I happened to look at the temp gauge and saw I was around 210 and rising so I jumped out and popped the hood and it cooled right down. That little gauge may have saved my engine, I don’t know if it would have managed itself in time or not. I’ve never seen my temp go near that high. Either way it was worth every penny that day.

View attachment 2066925

Looks great! Do you have a link to the pillar pod that you used? Where did you hook up the oil pressure sender?

By the way, just today I took my cluster out to remove the VSC OFF bulb (I disabled it because it keeps triggering on curved roads). When I reinstalled the cluster, the needles would light up but the gauges were dark. Turns out I forgot to reconnect a connector inside the cluster. See attached photo of the connector. Might be worth checking out

A2B61E3C-2308-43A7-A8A4-F120D8DF73B3.jpeg

Looks great! Do you have a link to the pillar pod that you used? Where did you hook up the oil pressure sender?

By the way, just today I took my cluster out to remove the VSC OFF bulb (I disabled it because it keeps triggering on curved roads). When I reinstalled the cluster, the needles would light up but the gauges were dark. Turns out I forgot to reconnect a connector inside the cluster. See attached photo of the connector. Might be worth checking out

View attachment 2067003

It’s just the universal gauge pod and it requires a little forming with a heat gun. I don’t remember what I painted it with, but just any plastic paint should be fine. I had my buddy doing a bunch of work on the cruiser for me so I just had him install this for me while he was at it. He used the factory connection for the oil pressure so the dash gauge is dead now and my aftermarket is live.

Thanks for the tip on that connector! I’ll definitely check it out when the weather cools down a bit. I bought it that way so it certainly could have been left unconnected by the previous owner and I wouldn’t know what to look for. I had it apart a couple months ago but nothing jumped out at me like that. This is why I love this forum, I try to help you out and you end up possibly fixing my cruiser lol.

View attachment 2067003

Damn, I just checked an old picture I took when I had it apart and that connector looks good to go. What I don’t see on yours that is on mine is a ghetto rigged wire that I was suspicious of at the time. I think someone mangled my cluster beyond my ability to repair and I just don’t see spending $200 or more to have someone fix it for me assuming they could even untangle whatever mess the last guy left.

3E8839EA-0458-4B04-BFB8-0096E207654D.jpeg

Damn that sucks. Here’s a couple more photos I have of the cluster, maybe it could be of help.

I noticed you have a bulb on the leftmost side (right side when facing the front of the cluster). Do you know what it’s for? Mine was empty so I moved my VSC OFF bulb over there but it doesn’t light up at all during the bulb check at key position 2.

A46A43AC-52CD-4C96-8356-5139EAE61F2C.jpeg

18996997-F1D0-40D0-8C38-EC682BD53221.jpeg

I don’t have the slightest clue, but if I ever pull it apart again I’ll shine a flashlight through and see what I see. I probably won’t bother with it anytime soon thought to be honest. Way too much of a PITA since that connector you suggested does look intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom