aftermarket gas gauge reccomendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, elsewhere on these forums I tried (with the help of many) for months to solve an issue where my gas gauge would not read the gas level. I tried wiring diagrams, dashboard harness, gauges, etc. no dice. I could maybe try to buy a new FJ40 specfic gauge for the dash cluster and a new gas tank sensor, but the wiring harness at the dashboard I think have issues themselves.

anyway, many of my gauges on my dash have already been changed by the PO (i.e., engine temp, volt meter, oil presure, etc.). So, the ones in the original dash cluster are all dead and all I use are speed and odometer and turn signals.

well, I was thinking of now doing the same aftermarket trick with the gas gauge. maybe putting in an aftermarket gauge that would be more affordable and easier to rewire then any more hours spent troublshooting the old one and messy wiring harness.

so, I wonder if I would just buy a generic gas gauge, drill a hole in the dash and mount it next to my others, get a new fj40 gas tank sensor (to be safe) and then run new wiring to this gas gauge based on it's provided diagram. does this sound right? that simple? any reccomendations for a good reliable dash mount gas gauge you guys have tried?

Sounds pretty straightforward. Even though you don't want to mess around anymore, I'd just replace all of the gauge and sender with OEM (if available) then run new wires and be done with it.

But even before that, rather than messing with the existing harness, I'd at least just run new wires and see if the gauge works.

Good luck.

I had the same problem with my gas gauge, I bought the cheap kit from J.C Witney for around $20. Came with everything I needed. Has been working now for about 4 years. OEM stuff is just to expensive for a trail truck.

landbruiser1 said:
I had the same problem with my gas gauge, I bought the cheap kit from J.C Witney for around $20. Came with everything I needed. Has been working now for about 4 years. OEM stuff is just to expensive for a trail truck.

hey, is it one of these:http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/VehicleBrowse/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/showAll-0/showCustom-0/N-200729279+111+1974+600002112/c-10101

I see they have 1 kit, but also you can buy gauges and then float/fuel level sender as well. is the kit what you got?

landbruiser1 said:
Its the Gauge set, the third one down.

sweet - ordering today. I assume the directions will show a novice how to rewire?

This is great. :)

My sending unit went out and I need a new one.

No one, that I could find, has one for a 65 Cruiser.

HELLS YEAH! finally have me a working gas gauge.

easy to install (just takes a lot time to pull off seat, take old sending unit out, rewire up to dash, adjust size of sending unit arm and height as per gas tank depth, remount all pieces, etc.) in my case, the holes did not line up on the sending unit where it bolts to the tank, so I had to widen the holes and use some black RTV seal as the cork seal they give did not really line up, but in the end it seems to work perfect and register perfect. time will tell if I got the sizing right (and thus good accuracy on the gauge).

Thanks for the tip on this unit!

HawkDriver said:
Sounds like a PITA. Glad you're all set. ;)

TBH - like 3 hours total to do it all right. I had extra time involved to adjust those damn holes and run really clean wire placement and wire up all the tabs. So, it seems like a lot for such a small part - but to me it was time well spent to get that gauge working. I would do it again any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom