Aftermarket FJ62 bumper in OEM style? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Does anyone know of a seller for an aftermarket version of the OEM style bumper for the FJ62? I guess CCOT used to sell them but no longer does. SOR and Cruiser Corps only sell the FJ60 variety. Thanks!

I have only ever seen the CCoT version - discontinued, as you said.

Dang, I guess its either used or a different style!

52111-90A03

still available if you wanna pony up $515.

You probably already knew this.
Thanks, yeah I did know the OE was still available. Just hard to justify that much coin for a basic stock bumper (at least for me).

My buddy just sent some parts to be chromed for his mucury comet, bumper alone was $800....so probably not cost effective to make one and have chromed. ....

Go make friends with someone that has a sheet metal brake and a chromer.

If you have a stock bumper at all, a rechroming shop will remove the dents, rust and rechrome it. Mine was about $300 to have done and it looks like new. The shop would only pick it up at an autoparts store or auto mechanics shop (don't know why) but they did pick it up and deliver it to my mechanics shop.

My buddy just sent some parts to be chromed for his mucury comet, bumper alone was $800....so probably not cost effective to make one and have chromed. ....

I should have thought about that....I have stuff out for chrome now, EPA is cracking down here and is bumping the price up.

I should have thought about that....I have stuff out for chrome now, EPA is cracking down here and is bumping the price up.

A buddy of mine who works in your area was saying that cad coating is being cut from their offerings due to this. Nickle plating is the future.

There is a "chrome" powder coat too. Maybe that would be a good alternative for a bumper? I have never seen it in real life though so not sure how good it actually looks.

I've heard... sending parts to Canada from the PNW is a good idea. Haven't done it yet. Do not use Show Quality Finishing or American Plating Inc. They are the same company and were terrible to work with. The chrome I had done literally peeled off the parts. Terrible shop, owner was never around nor returned calls. I was told "I didn't know you wanted show quality pieces" to which I replied, "Well your name implies such a thing". I'm still pretty bent out of shape about it.

A buddy of mine who works in your area was saying that cad coating is being cut from their offerings due to this. Nickle plating is the future.

Nickel really is. I've tried looking around in Mexico, but without any recommendations, its hard to close my eyes and pick one.

Ventura County here outlawed chroming so I'm stuck with LA county.

@red66toy I've seen chrome powdercoat...its all in who lays it. It will never look like chrome, it has more of a haze to it, but if the base is super clean and smooth you will have the best results. It looks like when you hand polish something to mirror finish, then drive in the rain.

I still say OEM, haha. Sucks paying more, but if you use partznet at July 4 they will kick off 10% off as well.

OEM isn't as good as it used to be. My old original dented bumpers are more shiny than a 6 year old OEM.

'Chrome' powder coat is just as MK described; hazey and spotty. I wouldn't go that route

OEM isn't as good as it used to be. My old original dented bumpers are more shiny than a 6 year old OEM.

'Chrome' powder coat is just as MK described; hazey and spotty. I wouldn't go that route

I won't argue with the chrome not being perfect. I found that it shines very well but compared to small batch chrome, it could be better. In my case the front bumper was a repop from the PO and junk, so I figured OEM steel and I can always rechrome. Rechroming would be the case if I was looking for a pebble beach restoration and wanted the highest level of perfection.

@red66toy Chase, I could ask Superior Powder coating about "chrome" powder coat. I think we have had good luck with them so far.
Yeah, they have done some great work. Now I need to figure out a front bumper :hmm:

I have often thought about just beefing out an oem bumper sleeper style and having it and all the other trim done in smoked chrome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom