Aftermarket Fenders: Gen1 4Runner/Gen2 Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Disclaimer: Ya, I knew better. I knew they suck. I knew it probably wouldn't fit well. I've seen the noise made before.

That said, OEM is not an option any more. A Google search showed there were essentially two flavors. Just OK, and crappy. Unfortunately, the just OK's were not available. So, I purchased a fender from a local autobody parts store. When they told me the price I asked if they had a better quality part in stock. Nope.

Folks, the fit sucked. At best I give the fender a "poor" rating. My issues?

The biggest issue was the turn signal bucket. Only one of the three screws lined up comfortably. The other two were way off. I got them in, but it was a struggle. Sure glad I don't have kids in my neighborhood, and most folks were at work. I wasn't, verbally, very nice.

Most of the holes were close. The holes across the top were acceptable. The hole at the top of the door took some work. The two holes at the bottom of the door were close. The top hole behind the turn signal buck was a joke. I had probably a 1/2" gap from the sheet metal to the core. I was able to get the bolt in and squeeze it down. The lower hole at the front was way off due to deformation of the fender. After I forced the bottom over I was able to get the bolt in. Thank gawd it was a self-tapper or I would have never got it started.

Other issues. The fit sucks next to the door. The edge doesn't line up and the door hits the fender. I think the reason is because the fender sits closer to the body and isn't flush with the fit in the door. If it was flat with the door it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Personally, due to the fit I don't expect this fender to last long. It will be cracking in no time.

Thanks for the heads up @pappy - good to know although I had an idea that they're not made very well. What'd they run you? About $125 a fender?

What made you need to replace your fender in the first place? Any reason you didn't just go grab one off of a parts truck in a junkyard somewhere?

Sucks to hear about the struggle, that's never any fun!

Thanks for the heads up @pappy - good to know although I had an idea that they're not made very well. What'd they run you? About $125 a fender?

They were $70 for the fender, plus another $80 at NAPA for paint/reducer/hardener … and stuff.

What made you need to replace your fender in the first place?

Long story. I've owned the truck for over 30 years. Right after I bought it in 1988 I suspected it had been in a front end collision. After talking to the parts guys at Toyota today I'm convinced the fenders were already aftermarket. The metal was quite thin. Anyway, the fender had cracked at several attachment points to where it was only held on by 1 bolts under the hood, and the one behind the door. Both attachments behind the headlights were cracked off, as were three along the top under the hood. See pics. Also, the front clip has several cracks, suggesting a previous collision. Those I tried to stitch with the welder.

Any reason you didn't just go grab one off of a parts truck in a junkyard somewhere?

Boneyard trucks are not as common as they used to be. When they do show up the fenders are beat to hell. I've been looking for some time.

A little update. I went out to the truck to install the wheel well skirt, and decided to try and pull out the fender next to the door. I'll be dang if it didn't "pop" out.

Front of the fender where there should have been two bolts.

20190320_151223-sm.jpg

Along the top of the fender where the metal cracked away.

20190320_151248.jpg

Another spot along the top of the fender that was about to fail.

20190320_151320-sm.jpg

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

HOLY GUACAMOLE. I've never seen that before! That's pretty bad.

There are a ton of junkyard trucks out my way that usually are pretty clean, if you want me to I wouldn't mind taking a look and pulling a fender if you'd like. Shipping might be a little much though...

There are a ton of junkyard trucks out my way that usually are pretty clean, if you want me to I wouldn't mind taking a look and pulling a fender if you'd like. Shipping might be a little much though...

If you happen to find a nice passenger fender I'll be glad to pay you for it. I'm in AZ often enough. I could make an excuse to pick it up. No rush.

If you happen to find a nice passenger fender I'll be glad to pay you for it. I'm in AZ often enough. I could make an excuse to pick it up. No rush.

Absolutely! I'll keep my eyes peeled. There is a parts truck I wanted to look at for some other parts so I'll check the fender out while I'm there.

That’s exactly why I cut the rust off my factory fenders and just welded the bottom of the crappy jobber fender on. At least all my “fit” areas are still oem. I didn’t want to fight with alignment etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom