Aftermarket fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After checking with CDAN the OEM fanclutch is out of stock and on backorder until August 1 or so. I know everyone on here will recommend OEM but I am going to make a 300 mile each way trip this coming weekend. I dont want to do it without AC if possible (can't stand the whining from the GF). Has anyone installed an aftermarket one? Is the quality from one store (NAPA vs Autozone vs Advanced) better than the others? The part is only around $60 for an aftermarket one so if I buy it and install it I could switch to OEM later and not be out too many $$$ but would only do this if installation is not a PITA.

mooker82 said:
After checking with CDAN the OEM fanclutch is out of stock and on backorder until August 1 or so. I know everyone on here will recommend OEM but I am going to make a 300 mile each way trip this coming weekend. I dont want to do it without AC if possible (can't stand the whining from the GF). Has anyone installed an aftermarket one? Is the quality from one store (NAPA vs Autozone vs Advanced) better than the others? The part is only around $60 for an aftermarket one so if I buy it and install it I could switch to OEM later and not be out too many $$$ but would only do this if installation is not a PITA.

can't you just bolt it blocked?

e9999 said:

I remember reading that somewhere. Supposedly made it sound like a jet engine at freeway speeds. I might give this a shot this afternoon just to see what it does.

Originally Posted by e9999

Don't go that route with the stock fan, they are not made to spin at full RPM, the results of a fan coming apart at speed are not cheap! Ether get a clutch or a flex fan and adapter.

Has anyone gone this route (flex fan and adapter). This seems to me like it would work better than the fan clutch. I know the downfalls to this setup would be increased parastic drag which would mean a less efficient system regarding MPG and such but would likely increase cooling.

I am not a big fan of flex fans, but they work. It will make more noise, they don't last that long and are a pain to install, the bolts will need to be 2.5"+, leaving very little room to tighten them.

I needed to replace mine pretty quickly so I just put in the Hayden fan clutch from Pep Boys and it has worked just fine. I have read posts from others who have used the Hayden as well. I will eventually replace with the OEM fan clutch. The Hayden fan clutch was only $65.00.

you guys make it sound like there is so much choice.
do all these aftermarket clutches have the same bolt pattern or does the Toy use some sort of common standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom