Aftermarket Electric Fuel Pump Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO put in an electric fuel pump after the stock one crapped out. Someone took the spoon off the stock pump and left it on there to keep oil in the engine.

My question is do I need a fuel pressure regulator? Also there is no fuel return line to the tank, which I think there should be. The engine also diesels, and Im thinking that this may have something to do with the whole setup as well instead of the timing. When I start it, sometimes black smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it stinks of unburnt gas from the tailpipe (This is my first rig w/o a catalytic converter as well, so I figured this was the case for the gas smell...now I may be wrong.). I had thought it may be the head leaking oil, but after pulling it, it seems fine.

The PO would not be mistaken for a brain surgeon nor a rocket scientist. :slap:

This question came to me after reading the other post about the cruiser with the black smoke and high idle.

Your thoughts?

[quote author=Pinion link=board=1;threadid=8303;start=msg70222#msg70222 date=1070397050]
The PO put in an electric fuel pump after the stock one crapped out. Someone took the spoon off the stock pump and left it on there to keep oil in the engine.

My question is do I need a fuel pressure regulator? Also there is no fuel return line to the tank, which I think there should be. The engine also diesels, and Im thinking that this may have something to do with the whole setup as well instead of the timing. When I start it, sometimes black smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it stinks of unburnt gas from the tailpipe (This is my first rig w/o a catalytic converter as well, so I figured this was the case for the gas smell...now I may be wrong.). I had thought it may be the head leaking oil, but after pulling it, it seems fine.

The PO would not be mistaken for a brain surgeon nor a rocket scientist. :slap:

This question came to me after reading the other post about the cruiser with the black smoke and high idle.

Your thoughts?
fuel regulater yes
sounds like timing is off
carb mixture may need to be set
you shouldn't need a return if things are set right

this is my thought and order of how I would deal with it GOOD LUCK
just my thoughts of what to check[/quote]

I would def. run a fuel reg. Will save you, PO on mine didnt. Toasted bearings are the result. Figure that $15 or less is great insurance against a +$500 engine rebuild.

I run an electric pump aswell, with a regulator. Only a feed line is used, no return line. I don't know if this is correct, but it's been working for nearly a decade now. No dieseling on, or any other odd problems, runs great.

It depends on the carb you have. I have a stock aisain carb with a napa electric pump, no regulator and a return line. With a return line you (to a certain degree) you don't need a reg. If you have an stock carb you should have a return line, AFAIK.

[quote author=fr8train link=board=1;threadid=8303;start=msg70243#msg70243 date=1070400860]
I would def. run a fuel reg. Will save you, PO on mine didnt. Toasted bearings are the result. Figure that $15 or less is great insurance against a +$500 engine rebuild.
[/quote]

Ok, how did not running a fuel regulator lead to toasted bearings? ???

Inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

An over fueled engine will have the excess fuel wash past the rings, thinning the oil to a point of not providing proper lubrication, allowing the metal crank and bearing material to contact, and wear out prematurely.

BEFORE deciding to run a regulator find the output pressure of the pump. There are electric fuel pumps that have as little as 4-5 psi and those with 12-15+. Anything in the high range needs a regulator but measure it first.

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=8303;start=msg70312#msg70312 date=1070405803]
An over fueled engine will have the excess fuel wash past the rings, thinning the oil to a point of not providing proper lubrication, allowing the metal crank and bearing material to contact, and wear out prematurely.
[/quote]

Thank you. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom