Aftermarket disk brake issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
I have a 1975 fj40 that I pulled the front axle as I'm swapping it out for extended fj62 axle.

I assume it has the JT outfitters front axle disc brake conversion on it.

However the pads are grinding into the rotor. Anyone seen this? Are the pads wrong size. I assume the caliper bracket is correct...

IMG_1988.JPG

Don't know exactly what's happening there from one picture, but it makes an excellent case for OEM.

Personally I'd not trust JT brackets with my life after seeing one broken.

It also looks like they're wearing on the pins. I'd not recomend driving it till you figure out if something is cracked, bent, or fubared.

Don't know exactly what's happening there from one picture, but it makes an excellent case for OEM.

OEM front brake design is amongst the best. I've got a friend who has built winning race cars and also an insane Nissan Hardbody 4x4. He has told me 4 piston calipers are as good (or even better) than 6 piston calipers.

Personally, I've got 95k miles out of my first set of organic pads... Can't complain for a $20 set of pads (20 years+). With an 80 booster and master it'll lock all 4 wheels at 30 mph on dry pavement (4700 lb rig) without much effort. Why people play around with non-OEM... Can't understand.

Somethings bent, loose or very badly worn/destroyed (bearings?) doesn't make sense! Can't force on incorrect brake pads, Had my JT's on for years, they are heavy duty and well made, Just had them off doing the knuckle bearing job.

I never liked the look of that JTO kit. Now I know why.

the easy fix is to throw that stuff away and put some stock 40/60 series disc brakes onto it its all dirt cheap and easily sourced

First, I'm not a brake expert.

I would look at the brake disk. Is it correct for the axle, is it aftermarket, a GM bored out???

By the picture, to me it looks like the lug bolt holes are too large. Perhaps the thickness of that disk is too 'thick' or 'fat' where the pads are digging in.

May not be the mount or caliper/pads, perhaps wrong rotor...

My 1 cent worth in today's 2 cent market.

Jerry D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom