Aftermarket CV Boots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The inner boots on both my axles have failed and I need to get them rebuilt. I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with aftermarket boots like these from CVJ

https://www.cvjreman.com/product/bootr08/

They are local to me here in Denver and I'm trying to decide if I should try these or just stick with OEM Toyota boots.

I have no experience with the linked boots you found. They seem like a quality product at first glance and probably similarly priced to OEM boots.

My first question is how old are your axle assemblies?
Do they warrant the labor involved in removing the axles, disassembling the axles, and rebooting?
Or would your time be better spent on just replacing the axles?

It's a fair amount of work to contribute to a wearable item that essentially needs replacing every few years. Personally, I would remove the current axles and keep them as spares. Then if I was feeling particularly fiesty, I'd put those fancy red boots on the new axle assemblies, and reuse the new OEM boots on the spare axles.

OEM axles have been a bit proven to outlast the aftermarket ones. So if they are not worn, tossing new grease, boots, and clamps on it smart. Its not much more effort than replacing the whole thing....which is cake....albeit messy cake.

I have used both the Boots and also there rebuilt axles that have the boots. both great .

if you do not want to mess with rebuilding your own just exchange them
With CVJ

5013DBCF-62C9-452C-8A6B-1F79C0487FFB.jpeg

I was unaware of this resource. Good to know. I've been replacing mine with dealership OEMs at a somewhat discounted price, but still nearly $300 because they are not remans, but new manufactured assemblies. I will give these guys a try. Did you get the neoprene outer or the OEM outer boot version ($175 v. $250, is a big jump)? Are there any other differences between those two version?
$174 - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808r/
$251 - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808tr/

I have no experience with the linked boots you found. They seem like a quality product at first glance and probably similarly priced to OEM boots.

My first question is how old are your axle assemblies?
Do they warrant the labor involved in removing the axles, disassembling the axles, and rebooting?
Or would your time be better spent on just replacing the axles?

It's a fair amount of work to contribute to a wearable item that essentially needs replacing every few years. Personally, I would remove the current axles and keep them as spares. Then if I was feeling particularly fiesty, I'd put those fancy red boots on the new axle assemblies, and reuse the new OEM boots on the spare axles.

One of my axles is the original OEM from '08. My other is a rebuilt Toyota from CVJ that has been on the truck for a little over 9 years I think. I also have another new CVJ rebuilt axle as a spare. I've already have the axles out since I pull my diffs to send to ECGS for a regear. My plan was to take them over to CVJ to get them rebooted or just swap them out.

Regarding warranty, they don't offer one for lifted trucks.

@Firemedic831 How long have you been running the red boots on your FJ?

I put the red boots on last year . But just got new reman axles from them so i could have some spares .

I was unaware of this resource. Good to know. I've been replacing mine with dealership OEMs at a somewhat discounted price, but still nearly $300 because they are not remans, but new manufactured assemblies. I will give these guys a try. Did you get the neoprene outer or the OEM outer boot version ($175 v. $250, is a big jump)? Are there any other differences between those two version?
$174 - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808r/
$251 - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808tr/
BMT i have the $251.

I think the term "rebuilt" can be a little misleading. Replacing dust shields, grease, new boots and clamps and a fresh coat of paint (usually all over the splines too) is not "rebuilt" in my opinion, more like refreshed. That can be done in an afternoon in your garage with an OEM reboot kit for $50 a side (and OEM boots are still the most durable). The upside with rebuilt is price against a new OEM axle- that's it. The downside with "re-built" is unless you send them your own axle, your getting someone else's axle with unknown number of miles and use; maybe its better maybe its worse. The inside of the tulip gets a wear groove that AFIK cannot be refurbed, the bearing cages get scored, the axle splines wear/widen which cannot be broached again, the result is more driveline lash/slop with worn splines. IDK- When you total up the cost of a rebuilt axle and core charge, add the cost of shipping both ways if trying to recover the core charge- your not that far off from a fresh new Toyota axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom