aftermarket clutch slave cylinder.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just got mine in the mail from CCOT.

how hard is it to use the pushrod from my old slave cylinder on the new aftermarket cylinder? haven't had the chance to mess with it yet. didn't realize it was missing the pushrod until I got it...going to try to switch them out tonight.....any suggestions or comments to help????

thanks!

right on! that is what I thought.....everything (parts, fixing/repairing parts and whatnot) seems to make a lot more sense than my Ford did!!

so glad I bought my FJ!!!!!

Man, I've got to throw in a little here, just in case someone looks this up in the future.

If your slave cyl goes bad, pull it and check your bore. If it's smooth, don't spend the $25 on a new unit, get the rebuild kit for $7. There isn't an easier rebuild. All you have to do is get the old piston out and shove the new one in, then put the new boot on it. DONE. I rebuilt my slave cyl 2 weeks ago and it took less than 3 minutes.

Phew, glad I got that off my chest...

ps40-2 said:
I just did this job last week. Same deal: no push-rod came with the S.O.R slave cyl. The original push rod works great. I can only imagine the adjuster nut might get rusty eventually.

Oh, and the adjuster nut is only on the older trucks. I think it was '84 when it went to a self adjusting pushrod - no nuts.

swank60 said:
Oh, and the adjuster nut is only on the older trucks. I think it was '84 when it went to a self adjusting pushrod - no nuts.

The '84 has the adjuster, the 85 does not. I have recent in depth experience confirming this!

Nice work swank. I just rebuilt by master and slave and made sure to check for pits and such. If you don't the fluid can bypass the seals and leak internally, no fluid loss, great suggestion. Cruiserdrew is right, my 84 has the nuts. I also used the old push rod, works great.

If you weren't getting any slippage, leave it where it was. If your clutch was slipping or starts slipping a little, move the adjustment nut in small bits - 1/8th of an inch or less - to tighten up the clutch contact. I can't remember which direction you go, but when you are under there looking at it, you can figure it out.

Ain't broke? Leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom