Aftermarket bumper/hacked frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
projectpursuitmedia.com
All,

Getting ready to ship my 1990 HDJ81 from Japan to Virginia. The rig has some after market parts, pretty modest. But the shipper was concerned about the front bumper, and said to remove it for import. This is what is left after removal, it looks like they chopped the frame a little to weld mounting threads for the bumper, not the cleanest job. Do you guys foresee any issues with it?

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Cheers,
Clay

The only reason Customs would reject a bumper-less car would be if some wise guy agent decides it's not FMVSS compliant. The aftermarket bumper probably isn't either, so I'm not sure putting it back on would pacify any potential picky bureaucrat you may encounter. On the other hand, the guys at the port will just want your car gone, and in my experience, they don't mind helping make that happen. So, yes, it's possible that you could bolt the bumper back on at the port (assuming you supply all the tools and parts), but by the time you'd be able to do that (i.e. by the time you will have access), the car would already have needed to clear Customs. In other words, it's kind of a moot point in all likelihood.

Bottom line, take the bumper with you if you're going to pick the car up yourself, but don't mention it unless asked. You'll probably be fine.

IMG_2606.jpg

Not really the direction I like to go with my builds... but I lucked out and got a paint matching, decent condition, complete with hardware bumper off a 94 for about $350...

May still try to find some stock looking wheels. Black steel wheels was my end game plan to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom