Aftermarket Alarm & Security (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A weekend of studying and you take $5 to your closest Mormon church, you can setup gps tracking with a ham operator license. No subscription, no cell service, no problem. Google arps tracking. The cost of devices is like $50, which tells me there is like $15 worth of parts if you're the diy type.
"APRS" tracking

I'm currently working on installing a viper alarm by reconfiguring the stock 3000 security harness - so there will be no cutting of the factory harness needed.

I'll document it as I figure it out and post it here,

I'm currently working on installing a viper alarm by reconfiguring the stock 3000 security harness - so there will be no cutting of the factory harness needed.

I'll document it as I figure it out and post it here,
Would absolutely love to see this write up!!

For me it's all about layers of protection. I have a $25 china generic alarm from ebay, wired into the central locking to give me keyless entry and an alarm if someone opens the door while armed. That does two things for me. Firstly, the keyless entry means I actually bother locking my doors (I really can't be stuffed using a key). Secondly, the alarm is intended to scare away opportunistic thieves who get into the vehicle before they destroy my ignition. I don't use the immobilizer features of the alarm however. I have a totally separate hidden kill switch that allows the starter to crank but kills the fuel supply. I then have a GPS tracker in the form of an old Android phone embedded in the chassis. The idea is each system is independent and acts as a backup for the others, roughly like this:

1. Alarm to stop brute force thieves from damaging my vehicle too much before I scare them off.
2. Kill switch to make driving off with the car more difficult if the alarm doesn't work.
3. GPS tracker if none of the above work, or they bring a tow truck.

Most importantly, since all three of these systems are totally independent, unique to my vehicle, and not at all obvious even if you're sitting in it, I'm pretty confident it'll stop 99.9% of attempts at theft, or at least allow me to track the vehicle in that event.

I’ve got a viper system, remote start, 2way communication with the key fob so it can alert me if there is an issue. My system could have been expanded with the glass break module and cellular WiFi module (manage & monitor the system through your phone)

A weekend of studying and you take $5 to your closest Mormon church, you can setup gps tracking with a ham operator license. No subscription, no cell service, no problem. Google arps tracking. The cost of devices is like $50, which tells me there is like $15 worth of parts if you're the diy type.
What device is out there for $50 to do APRS???

I currently have a Python, which is the same company as Clifford and Viper, all owned by Directed. One of the remotes died out of nowhere and I dislike how long it takes for the remote start to work and have intermittent issues with poor range.

After some research into the current car alarm world, I settled on a Compustar 7900AS. They're a bit of a pain to deal with for the DIYer, as their site tries to funnel you to a retailer. However, based on everything I've read, they're the way to go these days.

Oh, and T-Mobile has a $3/mo plan targeted toward the "Internet of Everything" scene. I think it includes 30 text messages per month and automatically bills for anything over that.

Stick that SIM into a cheap GPS tracker from DX.com, wire it to permanent 12V, and you've got a vehicle tracker for $36/yr.

The translated instructions are awful, but I think you can even wire it up to text you if your alarm goes off, and remotely kill the fuel pump if you send it the right text message.

Old android phone/tablet, aprsdroid, data plan for the phone.

Technically you should not run the aprs remotely or without a ham license

Aprs is also public so everyone can know where your rig is.
You can run APRS remotely, folks do this for all sorts of stuff… weather stations for example. You can have it send a string of info and use a rpi to program all sorts of stuff

Find other security threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom